Cries of the Past
|Cries of the Past|
|Studio album by Underoath|
|Released||July 4, 2000
August 20, 2013 (reissue)
|Recorded||2000 at Wisner Productions, Saint Cloud, Florida|
|Label||Takehold, Solid State (reissue)|
|Producer||James Paul Wisner|
|Chronicles of Chaos||9.5/10|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
Cries of the Past is the second album by Underoath, released on July 4, 2000, through Takehold Records. Only 3,000 copies of the album were pressed and, like Act of Depression, it was out of print for years. The album is the last to feature guitarist Corey Steger, the first to include keyboardist Christopher Dudley, and is the only release not to feature Aaron Gillespie on any vocals during his tenure with the band. Alongside their debut album, this album was reissued through Solid State Records on August 20, 2013.
This is the band's last album to be released through Takehold Records, as the label was bought by Solid State.
Musical content and style
The second and third song are out of order from the list on the jacket, with "Giving Up Hurts the Most" as the actual second track. The song "And I Dreamt of You" is Underoath's longest recorded song, clocking in at 11 minutes and 24 seconds. One of the most notorious things about the album is its length; there are only five songs, but reaches 42:08 in time length, with the shortest song on the album being "Giving Up Hurts the Most" (7:36).
Being the first album to feature Christopher Dudley, it is the first Underoath album to include keyboard effects. The album acquires a similar sound to Act of Depression; however, it features even more of a black metal influence.
|2.||"Giving Up Hurts the Most"||7:36|
|4.||"And I Dreamt of You"||11:24|
|5.||"Cries of the Past"||8:23|
- Dallas Taylor – lead vocals
- Corey Steger – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Octavio Fernandez – rhythm guitar
- Christopher Dudley – keyboards
- Matt Clark – bass guitar
- Aaron Gillespie – drums
- Produced by James Paul Wisner
- "Cries of the Past (Reissue)". Tooth & Nail Records. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Cantwell, Alex (October 1, 2001). "CoC: Underoath - Cries of the Past: Review". Chronicles of Chaos. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Alternative Press | Reviews | Underoath - Cries of The Past". Altpress.com. July 4, 2000. Archived from the original on July 5, 2010. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "Underoath, 'Cries of the Past' Review". Jesusfreakhideout.com. February 5, 2006. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- Wreckinthangs, Aaron (November–December 2000). "Reviews / Cries of the Past". HM Magazine (86): 85.
- "Underoath, "Cries of the Past" Review". jesusfreakhideout.com. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- Powell, Mark Allan (2002). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers. p. 976. ISBN 1-56563-679-1.