|Genres||Death metal, blackened death metal, thrash metal|
|Labels||R.E.X., Atomic, Bombworks, Morphine, Little Rose|
|Past members||Dave Quast
Crimson Thorn is an American Christian death metal band. According to Allmusic, they are "surely one of the world's most extreme-sounding Christian metal bands". Crimson Thorn has performed at notable events such as Cornerstone Festival and Sonshine Festival. They have also been featured in HM Magazine.
The band was founded in 1991 by members Luke Renno, Dave Quast, Dylan Jenniges, Paul Jongeward and Miles Sunde. They were almost ready to record their first demo when Dylan left, and Luke took his place on the bass. Their demo was entitled The Plagued, and was recorded in 1992 at Blue Moon Studios in Minneapolis.
After Quast left, Kevin Sundberg joined as the new drummer, and their style changed to death metal and grindcore. Crimson Thorn was signed to Atomic Records and released their first full length CD, Unearthed, in 1994. Later, R.E.X. Records re-released Unearthed. Paul Jongeward left the band, and was replaced with Andy Kopesky before the release of Dissection in 1997 on the label Morphine Records. Little Rose Records re-released it in 1999. Purification, was later released after the band built their own studio in the basement of Kevin's home.
Crimson Thorn announced at Cornerstone Festival 2007 that they were working on a new album. They performed unreleased tracks, all of which had a much more melodic feel than their previous works. Despite this, the band assured fans that the rest of the upcoming album would be much heavier, like their previous works.
- Studio albums
- Plagued (1993)
- Unearthed for Dissection (2005)
- Crimson Thorn - Anthology of Brutality: 1992-2002 The Complete Collective Works (3-CD Set) (2017)
- Compilation Appearances
- "Anorexia Spiritual" on A Tribute to Living Sacrifice (2001; originally performed by Living Sacrifice)
- Live in Minneapolis (2005)
- Luke Renno - bass (1992-2005) guitar, vocals (1991–present) (Taking the Head of Goliath)
- Steve Reishus - Drums (2005-present)
- Miles Sunde - Guitars, Backing Vocals (1991–present)
- Dylan Jennigis - bass (1991-1992)
- Dave Quast - drums (1991-1993)
- Jeff Anderson - drums (1993-1994)
- Kevin Sundberg - drums, vocals (1994-2005)
- Paul Jongeward - guitar (1991-1997)
- Andy Kopesky - guitar, keyboards (1997-2005)
- Collin Anderson - keyboards (2005-2006)
- Brett Wilson - bass, vocals
- Former Live
- Billy Frazer - Drums
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Crimson Thorn". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Van Pelt, Doug (June 2003). Cornerstone + Sonshine at the Wayback Machine (archive index). HM Magazine. Retrieved on 2008-03-08.
- Krotzer, Bryan (June 2006). Heaven's Metal Exclusive: Crimson Thorn Interview at the Wayback Machine (archive index). Heaven's Metal. Retrieved on May 6, 2016.
- "Crimson Thorn". Encyclopedia Metallum. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Crimson Thorn - Official MySpace
- Crimson Thorn - Metal Archives
- Various (2001). "Crimson Thorn interview". Art For The Ears. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
|This article on a United States band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|