Cristian S. Calude
|Cristian S. Calude|
Portrait of Professor Cristian S. Calude. Taken by Godfrey Boehnke on 20 April 2011 at the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
|Born||21 April 1952
|Institutions||University of Auckland, Academia Europaea|
|Alma mater||University of Bucharest|
|Doctoral advisor||Solomon Marcus|
|Known for||Algorithmic Information Theory and Quantum Theory contributions|
Cristian Sorin Calude (born 21 April 1952) is a Romanian-New Zealand mathematician and computer scientist. He graduated from the National College Vasile Alecsandri in Galați, and the University of Bucharest and was student of Grigore C. Moisil and Solomon Marcus. He is currently chair professor at the University of Auckland, New Zealand and also the founding director of the Centre for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science. Visiting Professor in many universities in Europe, North and South America, Australasia, South Africa, including Monbusho Visiting Professor, JAIST, 1999, and Visiting Professor ENS, Paris, 2009, École Polytechnique, Paris, 2011; Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, 2012. Former professor at the University of Bucharest. Author or co-author of more than 250 research articles and 8 books. Cited by more than 550 authors. Research in algorithmic information theory, quantum computing, discrete mathematics and history and philosophy of computation.
- C. S. Calude, M. J. Dinneen, Monica Dumitrescu, K. Svozil. Experimental evidence of quantum randomness incomputability, "Physical Review A", 82, 022102 (2010), 1—8.
- C. S. Calude, M. A. Stay. Most programs stop quickly or never halt, "Advances in Applied Mathematics", 40 (2008), 295—308.
- C. S. Calude (ed.) "Randomness & Complexity, From Leibniz to Chaitin", World Scientific, Singapore, 2007.
- C. S. Calude. Information and Randomness: An Algorithmic Perspective, 2nd Edition, Revised and Extended, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2002.
- C. S. Calude, G. Păun.Computing with Cells and Atoms, Taylor & Francis Publishers, London, 2001.
- C. Calude. Theories of Computational Complexity, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1988.
Distinctions and Prizes
- "Computing Reviews Award", Association for Computing Machinery, New York, USA, 1986.
- "Gheorghe Lazar" Mathematics Prize, Romanian Academy, Romania, 1988.
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Bucharest, Romania, 2007.
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Auckland, 2007.
- Hood Fellow, 2008-2009.
- Member of the Academia Europaea, 2008.
- Cristian S. Calude at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- C. S. Calude Home Page
- CDMTCS at the University of Auckland
- Cristian S. Calude member page at Academia Europaea
- "C. S. Calude" Mathematics Regional Contest, National College "Vasile Alecsandri", Galati, Romania
- "Cristian S. Calude 60th Birthday"