Cristian S. Calude
Cristian S. Calude
Portrait of Professor Cristian S. Calude. Taken by Godfrey Boehnke on 20 April 2011 at the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
|Alma mater||University of Bucharest|
|Known for||Algorithmic Information Theory and Quantum Theory contributions|
|Institutions||University of Auckland, Academia Europaea|
|Doctoral advisor||Solomon Marcus|
|Doctoral students||Marius Zimand, Cezar Campeanu, Michael Stay, Alastair Abbott|
Cristian Sorin Calude (born 21 April 1952) is a Romanian-New Zealander mathematician and computer scientist. He graduated from the National College Vasile Alecsandri in Galați, and the University of Bucharest and was student of Grigore C. Moisil and Solomon Marcus. He is currently chair professor at the University of Auckland, New Zealand and also the founding director of the Centre for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science. Visiting Professor in many universities in Europe, North and South America, Australasia, South Africa, including Monbusho Visiting Professor, JAIST, 1999 and Visiting Professor ENS, Paris, 2009, École Polytechnique, Paris, 2011; Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, 2012; Guest Professor, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China, 2017–2020. Former professor at the University of Bucharest. Author or co-author of more than 270 research articles and 8 books. Cited by more than 550 authors. Research in algorithmic information theory, quantum computing, discrete mathematics and history and philosophy of computation.
In 2017, together with Sanjay Jain, Bakhadyr Khoussainov, Wei Li, and Frank Stephan, he announced an algorithm for deciding parity games in quasipolynomial time. Their result was presented at the Symposium on Theory of Computing 2017 and won a Best Paper Award.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2019)
- C. S. Calude, G. Longo. The deluge of spurious correlations in big data, Foundations of Science 22, 3, (2016), 595–612.
- A. Abbott, C. S. Calude, K. Svozil. A variant of the Kochen-Specker theorem localising value indefiniteness, Journal of Mathematical Physics 56, 102201 (2015), doi.org/10.1063/1.4931658.
- C. S. Calude, E. Calude, M. J. Dinneen. Adiabatic Quantum Computing Challenges, ACM SIGACT News 46,1 (2015), 40–61.
- A. Abbott, C. S. Calude, K. Svozil. Value-indefinite observables are almost everywhere, Physical Review A 89, 3 (2014), 032109-032116.
- C. S. Calude, M. J. Dinneen, Monica Dumitrescu, K. Svozil. Experimental evidence of quantum randomness incomputability, Physical Review A 82, 022102 (2010), 1—8.
- C. S. Calude, M. A. Stay. Most programs stop quickly or never halt, Advances in Applied Mathematics 40 (2008), 295—308.
- C. S. Calude (ed.) The Human Face of Computing, Imperial College Press, London, 2015. 21st Annual Best of Computing, The Notable Books and Articles List for 2016, Computing Reviews, July 2017.
- C. S. Calude (ed.) Randomness & Complexity, From Leibniz to Chaitin, World Scientific, Singapore, 2007.
- C. S. Calude. Information and Randomness: An Algorithmic Perspective, 2nd Edition, Revised and Extended, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2002.
- C. S. Calude, G. Păun.Computing with Cells and Atoms, Taylor & Francis Publishers, London, 2001.
- C. Calude. Theories of Computational Complexity, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1988.
Distinctions and Prizes
- "Computing Reviews Award", Association for Computing Machinery, New York City, 1986.
- "Gheorghe Lazar" Mathematics Prize, Romanian Academy, Romania, 1988.
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Bucharest, Romania, 2007.
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Auckland, 2007.
- Hood Fellow, 2008–2009.
- Member of the Academia Europaea, 2008.
- Publications at DPLB
- Calude CV
- "Staff profile page at the departement of computer science". Archived from the original on 8 August 2009. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- CDMTCS at the University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Calude's books at Amazon
- Calude's citations
- S. Marcus. The art of reaching the age of sixty. In: Dinneen M.J., Khoussainov B., Nies A. (eds) Computation, Physics and Beyond. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 7160. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1–19.
- "STOC Best Paper Award". Archived from the original on 15 February 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- The list of members for Academia Europaea Informatics Section Archived 24 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Cristian S. Calude at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- C. S. Calude Home Page
- CDMTCS at the University of Auckland
- Cristian S. Calude member page at Academia Europaea
- "C. S. Calude" Mathematics Regional Contest, National College "Vasile Alecsandri", Galati, Romania
- "Cristian S. Calude 60th Birthday"