|Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino|
Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino in 2009.
|Born||Cristiane Justino Venancio
July 9, 1985
Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil
|Other names||Cyborg, Cristiane Santos|
|Residence||San Diego, California, United States|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||144.5 lb (65.5 kg; 10.32 st)|
|Reach||69 in (180 cm)|
|Style||Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||San Diego, California, United States|
|Team||Chute Boxe Academy
The Arena MMA
|Rank||Black belt in Muay Thai under Rafael Cordeiro
Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under André Galvão
|Years active||2005 – present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Competitor for Brazil|
|Women's Submission grappling|
|IBJJF World Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
|2012 Long Beach||74+ kg (Purple)|
|2011 Long Beach||74+ kg (Purple)|
|ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship|
|2009 Barcelona||60+ kg|
Cristiane Justino Venancio (formerly as Cristiane Santos) (born July 9, 1985), commonly referred to by her nickname Cyborg, is a Brazilian mixed martial artist and the former Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Champion, the current Invicta FC World Featherweight Champion and currently signed with the UFC. Justino won the Strikeforce title on August 15, 2009, by defeating Gina Carano via first-round TKO. She lives in San Diego where she trains and teaches at The Arena.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 Kickboxing record
- 7 Submission grappling record
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Mixed martial arts career
Justino was scheduled to face Dutch submission specialist Marloes Coenen at XMMA 7 on February 27, 2009, but backed out of the fight after signing a new contract with Strikeforce. Justino earned a BJJ Purple Belt under her jiu-jitsu instructor Cristiano Marcello in 2009.
She later signed to fight for Strikeforce, which greatly increased the chance that a fight with Gina Carano would take place. In her Strikeforce debut, Justino faced Hitomi Akano on April 11, 2009 at Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz. Justino came in six pounds overweight for the fight. Akano originally rejected the fight due to Justino failing to make weight but later accepted the fight. Justino defeated Akano by TKO in the third round.
Before the fight with Carano, Justino was interviewed by mmaworldwide.com's reporter Aaron Tru. When asked how long it would take to submit Carano with a choke hold, Justino choked the interviewer out cold, in a matter of seconds.
Justino fought Gina Carano on August 15, 2009 at Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg for the Women's Featherweight Championship. Justino won via TKO at 4:59 of the 5:00 first round. The card was the first time that a major promotion had featured a main event between women. After the match, Justino hugged Carano, and stated in her interview that she had the utmost respect for Carano, and that it was an honor to fight her.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated that the next challenger for Justino would most likely be Erin Toughill. However, Toughill later announced her intentions to leave Strikeforce and plans for the fight with Justino were cancelled.
On April 7, 2010, Coker stated that Justino would fight again in June. She faced Jan Finney at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum and won the fight via KO in the second round. Justino's contract with Strikeforce expired on June 26, 2011. She renewed her Strikeforce contract on August 25, 2011.
Banned substance use
On September 23, 2011, Strikeforce announced that Justino would return to the promotion to face Hiroko Yamanaka. The fight took place at Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal on December 17, 2011. Justino won via TKO just sixteen seconds into the first round; however, on January 6, 2012, it was announced that Justino had tested positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid. As a result of the banned substance, the fight's result was changed to a no decision. Justino had her license suspended for one year and was fined $2,500.
Invicta Fighting Championships
On February 15, 2013, Justino signed a multi-fight deal with Invicta Fighting Championships. She was scheduled to make her debut on April 5 at Invicta FC 5: Penne vs. Waterson against Ediane Gomes to determine who would move on to face Marloes Coenen. However, Gomes suffered an injury and Justino instead faced Fiona Muxlow. Justino was successful in her return, winning the bout via TKO in the first round.
Justino faced Marloes Coenen in a rematch for the inaugural Invicta FC Featherweight Championship at Invicta FC 6: Coenen vs. Cyborg on July 13, 2013. She defeated Coenen by TKO in the fourth round to become the first Invicta FC featherweight champion.
She returned to Muay Thai to face Jennifer Colomb at Lion Fight 11 in Las Vegas on September 20, 2013, defeating the previously undefeated Frenchwoman by TKO in round three. She had initially been set to fight Martina Jindrova but Jindrova withdrew with injury.
She lost a five-round unanimous decision against Jorina Baars in a fight for the inaugural Lion Fight Women's Welterweight Championship in the co-main event of Lion Fight 14 in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States on March 28, 2014. Baars officially knocked down Justino in the first round with a head kick and in the fifth round with a spinning heel kick, although referee Tony Weeks missed at least two other occasions throughout the fight where a knockdown could have been issued. Justino hit the canvas from a front kick in one occasion and from a knee on another, both times they were ruled slips by the referee.
In February 2015, Justino returned to MMA defend her Invicta Featherweight title against Charmaine Tweet in the main event at Invicta FC 11. She successfully defended her title, winning the fight via TKO in just under a minute in the first round.
Ultimate Fighting Championships
It was announced that Cyborg had signed with UFC prior to her win over Tweet. However, she is still set to defend her title in July. After her title fight, she will be required to compete at 135-pounds in an Invicta event to be eligible to fight against Ronda Rousey.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||13 wins||1 loss|
|Win||13–1 (1)||Charmaine Tweet||TKO (punches)||Invicta FC 11: Cyborg vs. Tweet||February 27, 2015||1||0:46||Los Angeles, California, United States||Defended the Invicta FC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||12–1 (1)||Marloes Coenen||TKO (punches and elbows)||Invicta FC 6: Coenen vs. Cyborg||July 13, 2013||4||4:02||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Won inaugural Invicta FC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||11–1 (1)||Fiona Muxlow||TKO (knees and punches)||Invicta FC 5: Penne vs. Waterson||April 5, 2013||1||3:46||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||First bout for Justino since suspension. Invicta FC Featherweight Championship title eliminator.|
|NC||10–1 (1)||Hiroko Yamanaka||NC (overturned win by CSAC)||Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal||December 17, 2011||1||0:16||San Diego, California, United States||Defence of Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship
Originally a win via TKO; result overturned by CSAC and stripped of the title after testing positive for stanozolol.
|Win||10–1||Jan Finney||TKO (knee to the body)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum||June 26, 2010||2||2:56||San Jose, California, United States||Defended Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship; Sherdog 2010 Beatdown of the Year.|
|Win||9–1||Marloes Coenen||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Miami||January 30, 2010||3||3:40||Sunrise, Florida, United States||Defended Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship|
|Win||8–1||Gina Carano||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg||August 15, 2009||1||4:59||San Jose, California, United States||Won inaugural Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship|
|Win||7–1||Hitomi Akano||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz||April 11, 2009||3||0:35||San Jose, California, United States||Catchweight bout; Justino weighed in six pounds overweight.|
|Win||6–1||Yoko Takahashi||Decision (unanimous)||EliteXC: Heat||October 4, 2008||3||3:00||Sunrise, Florida, United States|
|Win||5–1||Shayna Baszler||TKO (punches)||EliteXC: Unfinished Business||July 26, 2008||2||2:48||Stockton, California, United States|
|Win||4–1||Marise Vitoria||TKO (stomps)||Storm Samurai 12||November 25, 2006||1||1:27||Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil|
|Win||3–1||Elaine Santiago||TKO (corner stoppage)||Storm Samurai 11||May 21, 2006||1||2:46||Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil|
|Win||2–1||Chris Schroeder||TKO (punches)||Storm Samurai 10||January 28, 2006||1||N/A||Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil|
|Win||1–1||Vanessa Porto||Decision (unanimous)||Storm Samurai 9||November 20, 2005||3||5:00||Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil|
|Loss||0–1||Erica Paes||Submission (kneebar)||Show Fight 2||May 17, 2005||1||1:46||Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil|
2 Wins (2 (T)KO, 0 decisions), 1 Loss, 0 Draws
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
Submission grappling record
- "12 Questions for Cris 'Cyborg' Santos". Sherdog.com. 2010-01-28. Retrieved 2010-05-10.[dead link]
- "Cristiane Santos Becomes First Strikeforce Women's Champion". WorldExtremeFighter.com. Retrieved 2009-08-17.[dead link]
- Strikeforce (2010-07-28). "Official Strikeforce Champions list". Strikeforce.com. Retrieved 2010-07-28.[dead link]
- "Unified Mixed Martial Arts Rules". state.nj.us. Retrieved 2010-02-26.[dead link]
- "Cyborg, Carano on collision course". Yahoo!Sports. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Ladies To Take CBS-EliteXC Stage". Sherdog.com, by Jordan Breen. Retrieved 2008-07-09.[dead link]
- "'Ruthless' Retains". Sherdog.com. 2008-07-27. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "‘Cyborg’ Stays on Track for Carano Showdown; Heun Stops Berto in EliteXC Prelims". Sherdog.com. 2008-10-05. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "'Cyborg' Signs with Strikeforce; Carano in Talks". Sherdog.com, by Loretta Hunt. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- "'Cyborg' Still A Work In Progress". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "DETAILS OF THE CYBORG VS AKANO CONTROVERSY". MMAWeekly.com. 2009-04-20. Retrieved 2010-02-06.[dead link]
- "Diaz Dominates". Sherdog.com. 2009-04-12. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "Female MMA Fighter (Cris Cyborg) Chokes out Reporter During Interview".
- "‘Cyborg’ Finishes Carano in First Round". Sherdog.com. 2009-08-16. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "Cyborg vs Coenen Likely To Headline In January". MMARising.com. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- "'Cyborg' Santos dominates Coenen to keep belt". YAHOO! Sports. 2010-01-30. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "After title defense, Strikeforce champ Cris "Cyborg" Santos likely to get Erin Toughill next". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Toughill Announces Plans To Leave Strikeforce". MMARising.com. 2010-03-18. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos Likely To Fight In June". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Cris Cyborg vs Jan Finney Planned For June 26th". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Strikeforce: "Fedor vs Werdum" Live Results". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "Cris Cyborg To Face Hiroko Yamanaka In Strikeforce Return". MMARising.com. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "CSAC: Strikeforce champ Cris 'Cyborg' Santos tests positive for anabolic steroid". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "CRIS CYBORG SIGNS MULTI-FIGHT DEAL WITH INVICTA FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS". InvictaFC.com. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Sources: Ediane Gomes injured, Invicta FC 5 fight with 'Cyborg' off". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos Faces Fiona Muxlow At Invicta FC 5". MMARising.com. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "'Cyborg' Savages Muxlow, 'Karate Hottie' Crowned Via Dramatic Submission at Invicta FC 5". Sherdog.com. 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Invicta FC 5 Results: Michelle Waterson, Barb Honchak Win Titles". MMARising.com. 2013-04-06. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Marloes Coenen vs. Cristiane 'Cyborg' title rematch will headline Invicta FC 6". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-04-08. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Carla Esparza to Defend Belt at Invicta FC 6 in July; Bec Hyatt Also Returns". MMAWeekly.com. 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Invicta FC 6 Results: Cris Cyborg Wins Featherweight Title". MMARising.com. 2013-07-13. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Invicta FC 6 results: Cris 'Cyborg' claims featherweight belt with TKO win". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-07-13. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Jennifer Colomb to Now Fight Cris Cyborg at Lion Fight 11
- Lion Fight 11 Results: Cyborg Crushes, Yamato and Ross Wow, Nampon Blahs.
- Lion Fight 11 Results and Recap: Yamato and Ross put on a show in co-main event, Cris Cyborg dominates
- Cris 'Cyborg' Justino vs. Martina Jindrova Added to Lion Fight 11 Card
- Cris "Cyborg" Justino vs. Martina Jindrova official for Lion Fight 11
- Holland, Jesse (2013-12-18). "Cris Cyborg loses Muay Thai fight to Jorina Baars at Lion Fight 14 on March 28 in Las Vegas". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Lion Fight 14 Live Results
- Lion Fight 14 Results and Recap
- Jorina Baars Dethrones Cris Cyborg at Lion Fight 14
- Tatum, Rob. "Invicta FC 11 Results: Cyborg Destroys Tweet, Grasso Stifles Inoue". CombatPress.com.
- Menon, Ratish. "Cris Cyborg signs with the UFC, still expected to headline Invicta FC 13". sportskeeda.com.
- Mudford, Ethan. "Cyborg to defend her title against Van Duin". mmalatestnews.com.
- Cepeda, Elias. "Cris 'Cyborg' Justino signed to UFC; path clear to Rousey fight?". foxsports.com.
- "Cyborg No More – Cristiane Santos And Evangelista Santos Divorced". CageJunkies.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Mitchell, Rew (2014-01-09). "WMMA 2013 Awards". Awakening Fighters. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Awakening Muay Thai Awards 2014". Awakening Fighters. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Official Website
- Cristiane Justino Awakening Profile
- Professional MMA record for Cristiane Justino from Sherdog
- The Arena
|New championship||1st and final Strikeforce Women's Lightweight/Middleweight/Featherweight Champion
August 15, 2009 - January 6, 2012
Justino stripped of title after testing positive for steroids
|New championship||1st Invicta FC Featherweight Champion
July 13, 2013 - present