|Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino|
Justino in May 2016
|Born||Cristiane Justino Venâncio
July 9, 1985
|Other names||Cyborg, Cristiane Santos|
|Residence||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||144.6 lb (65.6 kg; 10.33 st)|
|Division||Featherweight, Super Bantamweight (MMA) 140 pounds, Super Featherweight (MMA) 150 pounds|
|Reach||69 in (180 cm)|
|Style||Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kickboxing, Wrestling, Boxing|
|Fighting out of||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Team||Chute Boxe Academy
The Arena MMA
|Rank||Black kruang in Muay Thai under Rafael Cordeiro
Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under André Galvão
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Cristiane Justino Venâncio (formerly Cristiane Santos; born July 9, 1985), commonly referred to by her nickname "Cyborg" or "Cris Cyborg", is a Brazilian and American mixed martial artist and former Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Champion. She is the current Invicta FC World Featherweight Champion and is currently signed with the UFC. Justino won the Strikeforce title on August 15, 2009, by defeating Gina Carano via first-round TKO. She lives in San Diego where she trains and teaches at The Arena.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 Muay Thai record
- 7 Submission grappling record
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Mixed martial arts career
She was scheduled to face Dutch submission specialist Marloes Coenen at XMMA 7 on February 27, 2009, but backed out of the fight after signing a new contract with Strikeforce. Justino earned a BJJ Purple Belt under her jiu-jitsu instructor Cristiano Marcello in 2009.
She later signed to fight for Strikeforce, which greatly increased the chance that a fight with Gina Carano would take place. In her Strikeforce debut, she faced Hitomi Akano on April 11, 2009, at Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz. Justino came in six pounds overweight for the fight. Akano originally rejected the fight due to Justino failing to make weight but later accepted the fight. She defeated Akano by TKO in the third round.
Before the fight with Carano, Justino was interviewed by mmaworldwide.com's reporter Aaron Tru. When asked how long it would take to submit Carano with a choke hold, she choked him.
She fought Gina Carano on August 15, 2009, at Strikeforce: Carano vs. Justino for the Women's Featherweight Championship. Justino won via TKO at 4:59 of the 5:00 first round. The card was the first time that a major promotion had featured a main event between women. After the match, she hugged Carano, and stated in her interview that she had the utmost respect for Carano, and that it was an honor to fight her.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated that the next challenger for Justino would most likely be Erin Toughill. However, Toughill later announced her intentions to leave Strikeforce and plans for the fight were cancelled.
On April 7, 2010, Coker stated that Justino would fight again in June. She faced Jan Finney at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum and won the fight via KO in the second round. Her contract with Strikeforce expired on June 26, 2011. She renewed her Strikeforce contract on August 25, 2011.
Banned substance violation
On September 23, 2011, Justino announced that she would return to the promotion to face Hiroko Yamanaka. The fight took place at Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal on December 17, 2011. She won via TKO just sixteen seconds into the first round; however, on January 6, 2012, it was announced that Justino had tested positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid. As a result of the banned substance, the fight's result was changed to a no contest. Justino had her license suspended for one year and was fined $2,500.
Invicta Fighting Championships
On February 15, 2013, a month after Strikeforce folded, Justino signed a multi-fight deal with Invicta Fighting Championships. She was scheduled to make her debut on April 5 at Invicta FC 5: Penne vs. Waterson against Ediane Gomes to determine who would move on to face Marloes Coenen. However, Gomes suffered an injury and Justino instead faced Fiona Muxlow. Justino was successful in her return, winning the bout via TKO in the first round.
Justino faced Marloes Coenen in a rematch for the inaugural Invicta FC Featherweight Championship at Invicta FC 6: Coenen vs. Cyborg on July 13, 2013. She defeated Coenen by TKO in the fourth round to become the first Invicta FC featherweight champion.
She returned to Muay Thai to face Jennifer Colomb at Lion Fight 11 in Las Vegas on September 20, 2013, defeating the previously undefeated Frenchwoman by TKO in round three. She had initially been set to fight Martina Jindrova but Jindrova withdrew with injury.
She lost a five-round unanimous decision against Jorina Baars in a fight for the inaugural Lion Fight Women's Welterweight Championship in the co-main event of Lion Fight 14 in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States on March 28, 2014. Baars officially knocked down Justino in the first round with a head kick and in the fifth round with a spinning heel kick, although referee Tony Weeks missed at least two other occasions throughout the fight where a knockdown could have been issued. Justino hit the canvas from a front kick in one occasion and from a knee on another, both times they were ruled slips by the referee.
In February 2015, Justino returned to MMA to defend her Invicta Featherweight title against Charmaine Tweet in the main event at Invicta FC 11. She successfully defended her title, winning the fight via TKO in just under a minute in the first round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In March 2015, it was announced that Justino had signed with the UFC. Justino made her promotional debut at UFC 198 against Leslie Smith at a catchweight of 140 pounds. She won the fight by TKO in the first round.
Justino faced promotional newcomer Lina Länsberg in a catchweight (140 lb) bout on September 24, 2016, at UFC Fight Night 95. The referee stopped the fight midway through the second round after Länsberg could not effectively defend herself.
In December 2016 UFC was notified of a potential USADA doping violation by Justino. Justino's team immediately responded that it was in regards to a substance that helped her recover from her weight cut. On February 17, 2017, Justino was granted a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE). Therefore, her suspension has been lifted, and she is immediately eligible to compete.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||17 wins||1 loss|
|Win||17–1 (1)||Lina Länsberg||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs. Lansberg||September 24, 2016||2||2:29||Brasília, Brazil||Catchweight (140 lbs) bout.|
|Win||16–1 (1)||Leslie Smith||TKO (punches)||UFC 198||May 14, 2016||1||1:21||Curitiba, Brazil||Catchweight (140 lbs) bout.|
|Win||15–1 (1)||Daria Ibragimova||KO (punches)||Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova||January 16, 2016||1||4:58||Costa Mesa, California, United States||Defended the Invicta FC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||14–1 (1)||Faith Van Duin||TKO (knee to the body and punches)||Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin||July 9, 2015||1||0:45||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Defended the Invicta FC Featherweight Championship. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||13–1 (1)||Charmaine Tweet||TKO (punches)||Invicta FC 11: Cyborg vs. Tweet||February 27, 2015||1||0:46||Los Angeles, California, United States||Defended the Invicta FC Featherweight Championship. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||12–1 (1)||Marloes Coenen||TKO (punches and elbows)||Invicta FC 6: Coenen vs. Cyborg||July 13, 2013||4||4:10||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Won the inaugural Invicta FC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||11–1 (1)||Fiona Muxlow||TKO (knees and punches)||Invicta FC 5: Penne vs. Waterson||April 5, 2013||1||3:46||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Invicta FC Featherweight Championship title eliminator.|
|NC||10–1 (1)||Hiroko Yamanaka||NC (overturned)||Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal||December 17, 2011||1||0:16||San Diego, California, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship. Originally a TKO (punches) win; overturned and stripped of the title after testing positive for stanozolol.|
|Win||10–1||Jan Finney||TKO (knee to the body)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum||June 26, 2010||2||2:56||San Jose, California, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||9–1||Marloes Coenen||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Miami||January 30, 2010||3||3:40||Sunrise, Florida, United States||Defended the Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||8–1||Gina Carano||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg||August 15, 2009||1||4:59||San Jose, California, United States||Won the inaugural Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||7–1||Hitomi Akano||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz||April 11, 2009||3||0:35||San Jose, California, United States||Catchweight (150 lbs) bout; Justino missed weight..|
|Win||6–1||Yoko Takahashi||Decision (unanimous)||EliteXC: Heat||October 4, 2008||3||3:00||Sunrise, Florida, United States||Catchweight (150 lbs) bout.|
|Win||5–1||Shayna Baszler||TKO (punches)||EliteXC: Unfinished Business||July 26, 2008||2||2:48||Stockton, California, United States||Catchweight (140 lbs) bout.|
|Win||4–1||Marise Vitoria||TKO (stomps)||Storm Samurai 12||November 25, 2006||1||1:27||Curitiba, Brazil|
|Win||3–1||Elaine Santiago||TKO (corner stoppage)||Storm Samurai 11||May 21, 2006||1||2:46||Curitiba, Brazil|
|Win||2–1||Chris Schroeder||TKO (punches)||Storm Samurai 10||January 28, 2006||1||N/A||Curitiba, Brazil|
|Win||1–1||Vanessa Porto||Decision (unanimous)||Storm Samurai 9||November 20, 2005||3||5:00||Curitiba, Brazil|
|Loss||0–1||Erica Paes||Submission (kneebar)||Show Fight 2||May 17, 2005||1||1:46||Curitiba, Brazil|
Muay Thai record
|Muay Thai Record|
2 Wins (1 KO, 1 TKO), 1 Loss, 0 Draws
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
Submission grappling record
- UOL Esportes. "Cris Cyborg se naturaliza cidadã americana, veja".
- "Invicta FC 13 weigh-in video". MMFighting.com. 2015-07-08. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "12 Questions for Cris 'Cyborg' Santos". Sherdog.com. 2010-01-28. Archived from the original on June 7, 2011. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Fight profile". criscyborg.com. Retrieved February 26, 2016.
- "Cris Cyborg - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- "Cristiane Santos Becomes First Strikeforce Women's Champion". WorldExtremeFighter.com. Archived from the original on August 21, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- Strikeforce (2010-07-28). "Official Strikeforce Champions list". Strikeforce.com. Archived from the original on August 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Unified Mixed Martial Arts Rules". state.nj.us. Archived from the original on April 3, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Cyborg, Carano on collision course". Yahoo!Sports. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Ladies To Take CBS-EliteXC Stage". Sherdog.com, by Jordan Breen. Archived from the original on July 10, 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "'Ruthless' Retains". Sherdog.com. 2008-07-27. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "'Cyborg' Stays on Track for Carano Showdown; Heun Stops Berto in EliteXC Prelims". Sherdog.com. 2008-10-05. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "'Cyborg' Signs with Strikeforce; Carano in Talks". Sherdog.com, by Loretta Hunt. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- "'Cyborg' Still A Work In Progress". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "DETAILS OF THE CYBORG VS AKANO CONTROVERSY". MMAWeekly.com. 2009-04-19. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Diaz Dominates". Sherdog.com. 2009-04-12. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "Female MMA Fighter (Cris Cyborg) Chokes out Reporter During Interview".
- "'Cyborg' Finishes Carano in First Round". Sherdog.com. 2009-08-16. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "Cyborg vs Coenen Likely To Headline In January". MMARising.com. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
- "'Cyborg' Santos dominates Coenen to keep belt". YAHOO! Sports. 2010-01-30. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "After title defense, Strikeforce champ Cris "Cyborg" Santos likely to get Erin Toughill next". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Toughill Announces Plans To Leave Strikeforce". MMARising.com. 2010-03-18. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos Likely To Fight In June". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Cris Cyborg vs Jan Finney Planned For June 26th". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Strikeforce: "Fedor vs Werdum" Live Results". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "Cris Cyborg To Face Hiroko Yamanaka In Strikeforce Return". MMARising.com. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "CSAC: Strikeforce champ Cris 'Cyborg' Santos tests positive for anabolic steroid". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "CRIS CYBORG SIGNS MULTI-FIGHT DEAL WITH INVICTA FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS". InvictaFC.com. 2013-02-15. Archived from the original on 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Sources: Ediane Gomes injured, Invicta FC 5 fight with 'Cyborg' off". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-03-19. Archived from the original on 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos Faces Fiona Muxlow At Invicta FC 5". MMARising.com. 2013-03-20. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "'Cyborg' Savages Muxlow, 'Karate Hottie' Crowned Via Dramatic Submission at Invicta FC 5". Sherdog.com. 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Invicta FC 5 Results: Michelle Waterson, Barb Honchak Win Titles". MMARising.com. 2013-04-06. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Marloes Coenen vs. Cristiane 'Cyborg' title rematch will headline Invicta FC 6". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-04-08. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Carla Esparza to Defend Belt at Invicta FC 6 in July; Bec Hyatt Also Returns". MMAWeekly.com. 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Invicta FC 6 Results: Cris Cyborg Wins Featherweight Title". MMARising.com. 2013-07-13. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Invicta FC 6 results: Cris 'Cyborg' claims featherweight belt with TKO win". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-07-13. Archived from the original on July 17, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Jennifer Colomb to Now Fight Cris Cyborg at Lion Fight 11
- Lion Fight 11 Results: Cyborg Crushes, Yamato and Ross Wow, Nampon Blahs.
- Lion Fight 11 Results and Recap: Yamato and Ross put on a show in co-main event, Cris Cyborg dominates
- Cris 'Cyborg' Justino vs. Martina Jindrova Added to Lion Fight 11 Card
- Cris "Cyborg" Justino vs. Martina Jindrova official for Lion Fight 11
- Holland, Jesse (2013-12-18). "Cris Cyborg loses Muay Thai fight to Jorina Baars at Lion Fight 14 on March 28 in Las Vegas". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Lion Fight 14 Live Results Archived October 26, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- Lion Fight 14 Results and Recap Archived April 7, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- Jorina Baars Dethrones Cris Cyborg at Lion Fight 14
- Tatum, Rob. "Invicta FC 11 Results: Cyborg Destroys Tweet, Grasso Stifles Inoue". CombatPress.com.
- Menon, Ratish. "Cris Cyborg signs with the UFC, still expected to headline Invicta FC 13". sportskeeda.com.
- Mudford, Ethan. "Cyborg to defend her title against Van Duin". mmalatestnews.com.
- Cepeda, Elias. "Cris 'Cyborg' Justino signed to UFC; path clear to Rousey fight?". foxsports.com.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-05-14). "UFC 198 results: Cristiane Justino makes quick work of Leslie Smith". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- Staff (2016-08-03). "Cris 'Cyborg' vs. Lina Lansberg targeted for UFC Fight Night 95, Barao to meet Nover". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-09-25). "UFC Fight Night 95 results: Cristiane 'Cyborg' makes easy work of Lina Lansberg for TKO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- "UFC Statement on Cris Cyborg". UFC.com. 2016-12-22. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-12-22). "Cris Cyborg talks USADA notification: 'I'm on medical treatment'". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- Raimondi, Marc (2017-02-17). "Cris Cyborg granted retroactive TUE, cleared of potential anti-doping violation". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2017-02-17.
- "12 Questions for Cris Cyborg Santos". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- "Cyborg No More – Cristiane Santos And Evangelista Santos Divorced". CageJunkies.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Robert Sargent (February 28, 2015). "Invicta FC 11 Bonuses: Grasso-Inoue Named Fight Of The Night". MMARising.com.
- "Invicta FC 13 Bonus Report: Cyborg Snags Extra Cash For Her 45 Sec TKO". BJPenn.com. July 10, 2015.
- Mitchell, Rew (2014-01-09). "WMMA 2013 Awards". Awakening Fighters. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Awakening Muay Thai Awards 2014". Awakening Fighters. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Official Website
- Cristiane Justino Awakening Profile
- Professional MMA record for Cristiane Justino from Sherdog
- Cristiane Justino at the Internet Movie Database
- The Arena
|New championship||1st and final Strikeforce Women's Lightweight/Middleweight/Featherweight Champion
August 15, 2009 - January 6, 2012
Justino stripped of title after testing positive for steroids
|New championship||1st Invicta FC Featherweight Champion
July 13, 2013 - present