Cristiano dos Santos Rodrigues
|Full name||Cristiano dos Santos Rodrigues|
|Date of birth||3 June 1981|
|Place of birth||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2007||→ Willem II (loan)||12||(5)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13 March 2012|
Cristiano began his club career with Dutch club NAC Breda. He signed his first professional contract with Breda at age 16. Cristiano was impressive, without being a prolific goal scorer and spent four years with Breda before moving to fellow Dutch side Roda JC.
Cristiano's performances with Breda impressed Roda manager Wiljan Vloet who was desperate to bring the Brazilian to the club. Cristiano averaged 0.34 goals a game in his four-year stint with Roda.
After eight seasons in the Netherlands, Cristiano sought a new challenge in a foreign country and jumped at the opportunity to join Swiss giants FC Basel. He played his team debut on 10 September 2006 as Basel won 2:1 at home against FC Zürich in the St. Jakob-Park. Cristiano struggled to command a regular starting spot in to the side (though did win the Swiss Cup), and eventually went on loan back to the Netherlands with Willem II of Tilburg. His loan spell with Willem II was very successful, scoring 5 goals in 12 appearances. Willem II made Cristiano's move permanent at the end of the 2006–07 season.
Cristiano was unable to capture his form from his loan spell the previous season. Despite being well known in the Netherlands, he received tentative interest from other Dutch clubs due to his non-EU status requiring a high minimum salary, and began seeking options of regular football elsewhere.
Cristiano moved to Australia to join A-League side Adelaide United at the start of the 2008–09 season. Adelaide had lost Nathan Burns and Bruce Djite in the off-season and were in desperate need for a permanent striker. After scoring on his debut in a pre-season match, Cristiano made his A-League debut in a 1–0 victory over Perth Glory. Cristiano was impressive in his debut, setting up the winning goal scored by Travis Dodd.
Cristiano scored his first competitive goal for Adelaide United in Round three against Wellington Phoenix at Hindmarsh Stadium. Cristiano finished with a brace in a 3–0 victory. After helping Adelaide United become the first Australian side to reach the semi-finals of the AFC Champions League, he scored a brace days later to help the Reds to a 2–0 victory over reigning premiers Newcastle Jets.
Cristiano scored his fifth goal in seven A-League matches by getting on the score sheet in a 3–3 draw against Central Coast. He scored the only goal of the Club World Cup fifth place play off against Egyptian club Al-Ahly the impressive twenty yard strike was awarded 'goal of the tournament'.
He was released from Adelaide after their 2010 Asian Champions League campaign after they were knocked out of the round of 16.
During the 2010–11 summer transfer window he signed a two-year contract until 2011–12, with Maltese Premier League club Tarxien Rainbows.
It was announced on 7 June 2011 that Cristiano would move back to Adelaide and sign with South Australian Premier League side White City FC with an aim to further his career in coaching and to aim for re-signing with his former A-League club, Adelaide United.
(Correct as of 1 January 2009)
|Willem II Tilburg||2006–07||12||5||0||0||0||0||12||5|
1 – includes A-League final series statistics
2 – includes FIFA Club World Cup statistics; AFC Champions League statistics are included in season commencing after group stages (i.e. 2008 ACL in 2008–09 A-League season etc.)
- Weber, Dominik (2006). "FCB besiegt den FC Zürich mit 2:1". FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2006-09-10.
- "Dodd scores winner in 100th appearance for Reds". Adelaide United. 17 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-01.[permanent dead link]
- "Cristiano inspires Adelaide to victory against Wellington". Adelaide United. 30 August 2008. Archived from the original on 4 April 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Cristiano double shoots down wounded Jets". Adelaide United. 27 September 2008. Archived from the original on 12 April 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Reds let it slip against Mariners". Adelaide United. 10 March 2008. Archived from the original on 12 April 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Adelaide get one-two for 'Goal of the Tournament'". Adelaide United. 9 January 2009. Archived from the original on 14 April 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2009.
- "FIFA Match Report Al Ahly – Adelaide United". FIFA. 18 December 2008. Archived from the original on 21 December 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Vidmar fury after ref turns decider". The Sydney Morning Herald. 1 March 2009.
- Gagliardi, Lee (7 June 2011). "White City sign Cristiano". Devine Premier League. Football Federation South Australia. Archived from the original on 29 September 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2011.