Cristina Jurado Marcos
1 February 1972
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
|Awards||Ignotus Award (2016, 2017)|
Cristina Jurado Marcos (born 1 February 1972) is a Spanish writer and publisher of fantasy and science fiction, the winner of three Ignotus Awards. She has written two novels, several short stories, and edited multiple anthologies, as well as numerous articles and interviews in the magazine Supersonic, which she also directs.
Cristina Jurado was born in Madrid in 1972. She studied Advertising and Public Relations at the University of Seville, and earned a master's degree in Rhetoric from Northwestern University in Illinois. She resides in Dubai.
As a writer she published her first novel, Del Naranja al Azul in 2012, defined as a book of "Mediterranean science fiction", which was followed by stories in various anthologies and fanzines of the genre. In 2017 she published the novella CloroFilia, which she defines as "a post-apocalyptic and weird story that deals with collective madness and human identity." Also in 2017 she won an Ignotus Award for Best Story for "La segunda muerte del padre", published in the Nevsky Prospect anthology Cuentos desde el Otro Lado.
As an editor, her work has focused on the direction of the digital magazine Supersonic and on the publication of anthologies. She founded Supersonic in 2015, beinging together fiction and nonfiction in Spanish and English. The magazine has stood out as a springboard for new voices in Spanish science fiction, and has won several awards. In 2016 it won the European Science Fiction Society's award for Best Fanzine, and in 2017 won in the Best Magazine category. It also won the Ignotus Award for Best Magazine. One of Jurado's articles, "Antologías de ciencia ficción en España", published in the first issue of Supersonic, won the Ignotus for Best Article. In the field of anthologies, her publication Alucinadas stands out, with two volumes focused on getting to know science fiction writers, both unpublished and more recognized.
She has collaborated with international publishers, including for the North American Apex Magazine. In 2015, she was guest editor for its issue number 76, dedicated to international fiction. The collaboration was consolidated in 2017 with Apex's announcement of her hiring as editor of international fiction beginning in January 2018. For her editorial work promoting authors, she has worked with media outlets such as El País and El Salto.
- CloroFilia (Editorial Cerbero, March 2017).
- Alucinadas I, together with María Leticia Lara Palomino, (Palabaristas 2014), ISBN 9789874584021
- Whitestar, (Palabaristas, 2016)
- "Rem", in Ellos son el futuro (Ficción Científica, 2013)
- "El pastor", in Retrofuturismos. Antología steampunk (Fábulas de Albión imprint of Ediciones Nevsky, 2014)
- Translated into English by James Womack in The Best of Spanish Steampunk (Ediciones Nevsky, 2015)
- "Antonio Benjumea", in Crónica de Tinieblas (Sportula, 2015), ISBN 9788415988694
- "Hambre", in Supersonic #1, 2015
- "El niño que diseccionaba ranas", in El laberinto mecánico #1, 2015
- "Out of Context", in the anthology Los irregulares (Cazador de Ratas, 2015)
- "Un cuento de abducciones", in Martians Go Home (Revista NGC3660, 2016)
- "Haitzlurra" in Retrofuturismos (Cazador de Ratas, 2016)
- "Inchworm", in the anthology Whitestar (Palabaristas, 2016)
- "La segunda muerte del padre", in the anthology Cuentos desde el Otro Lado (Fábulas de Albión imprint of Ediciones Nevsky, 2016), ISBN 9788494455568
- "Gemelos", in Origen Cuántico, 2017
- "Heroína", in Barcelona Review, 2017
- "Alice", in the anthology Alphaland (Nevsky 2018), ISBN 9788494591389
- "Vanth", illustrated by Ana Galvañ (Sisterhood Madrid y Ofegabous, 2016)
- 2016: ESFS Award for Best Fanzine for Supersonic
- 2016: Ignotus Award for Best Article for "Antologías de ciencia ficción en España" (Supersonic #1)
- 2017: ESFS Award for Best Magazine for Supersonic
- 2017: Ignotus Award for Best Story for "La segunda muerte del padre" (anthology Cuentos desde el Otro Lado)
- 2017: Ignotus Award for Best Magazine for Supersonic
- "Cristina Jurado Marcos". La Nave Invisible (in Spanish). 23 October 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Sizemore, Jason (24 July 2017). "Apex Magazine hires Cristina Jurado as international fiction editor". Apex Magazine. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Cristina Jurado" (in Spanish). Ediciones Nevsky. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Paz, Silvia. "'CloroFilia', de Cristina Jurado". A Librería (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "CloroFilia" (in Spanish). Origen Cuantico. 4 March 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Premios Ignotus 2017" (in Spanish). Asociación Española de Fantasía, Ciencia Ficción y Terror. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Warletta, Violeta G. (19 November 2017). "Ganadores de los Premios Ignotus 2017" [Winners of the 2017 Ignotus Awards] (in Spanish). La Casa de El. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "ESFS Awards 2016" (in Spanish). European Science Fiction Society. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "ESFS Awards 2017" (in Spanish). European Science Fiction Society. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Premios Ignotus 2016" (in Spanish). Asociación Española de Fantasía, Ciencia Ficción y Terror. Archived from the original on 22 October 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Alós, Ernest (4 November 2016). "Diario de la Eurocon. Cosas raras que pasan en el CCCB" [Journal of the Eurocon: Strange Things That Happen at the CCCB]. El Periódico de Catalunya (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Robles, Lola (April 2017). "Un mundo por delante de su lastre: escritoras españolas de ciencia ficción". Barcelona Review (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Antología Alucinadas: 10 seleccionadas, 11 relatos". Fantifica (in Spanish). 20 November 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Tynjala, Tanya (2 October 2017). "Entrevista a Cristina Jurado" [Interview with Cristina Jurado]. Amazing Stories (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 31 January 2018. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Sucasas, Ángel Luis (23 July 2016). "El fantástico sale del armario" [The Fantastic Comes Out of the Closet]. El País. Avilés. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Jurado, Cristina (24 March 2017). "Soy del equipo UKLG" [I'm On the UKLG Team]. El Salto (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 November 2018.