Number of employees
Criteo is an advertising company that provides online display advertisements. The company was founded and is headquartered in Paris, France.
Criteo was founded in Paris, France in 2005 by Jean-Baptiste Rudelle, Franck Le Ouay and Romain Niccoli. Criteo spent the first four years focused on R&D, and launched its first product in April 2008. In 2010, Criteo opened an office in Silicon Valley. In 2012, Criteo opened its new headquarters in Paris, France.
On April 7, 2011, Criteo announced that it hired Greg Coleman as president. Previously, Coleman served as president and chief revenue officer of The Huffington Post and executive vice president of global sales for Yahoo!.
In October 2013, the firm completed an initial public offering (IPO), raising $251 million USD.
On 1 January 2016, Rudelle became the executive chairman, while Eric Eichmann, who was the president and chief operating officer (COO), was promoted to be the chief executive officer. In June 2016, Criteo alleged Steelhouse, a rival ad tech company, that the latter had falsely taken credit for user visits to retailers' web pages in a lawsuit. Steelhouse countersued, alleging Criteo of false advertising and unfair competition. After an injunction requested by Criteo was denied in October 2016, both parties chose to mutually dropped their lawsuits in November 2016. On 4 October 2016, Criteo acquired HookLogic, a retail exchange, ad server and attribution company focused squarely on retailers, strengthening its ecommerce serving capabilities.
In October 2017, Criteo appointed Mollie Spilman as COO.
With the implementation of Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) feature from Apple's Safari 11 onwards on September 2017, Criteo's revenue was reduced by $25 million in 2017. However, Criteo reportedly was working on “sustainable solution for the long-term” at the end of 2017, and had redesign its "platform architecture" since. Criteo was also impacted by the perception that the General Data Protection Regulation would negatively affect the company.
In April 2018, Rudelle returned as the CEO, with Eichmann being his advisor. Under Rudelle, Criteo slowly transited from a single product (web advertising) to multi-product platform, which included in-app and email advertising. Criteo's revenue did not grow in 2018, and was down 1%.
Criteo's product is a form of display advertising, which displays interactive banner advertisements, generated based on the online browsing preferences and behaviour for each customer. The solution operates on a pay per click/cost per click (CPC) basis.
In September 2010, Criteo debuted its self-service cost-per-click (CPC) bidding platform that lets advertisers place bids on display retargeting campaigns and see changes and optimize campaigns in real-time.. During 2020 Criteo launched a traffic generation product, which allows advertisers to advertise using purchased intent data, and it also introduced a self-service ad platform for its Criteo Retail Media division that allows advertisers to purchase media space on retailers’ websites. 
Criteo secured a total of $17 million in funding, with 3M € in a first institutional round in March 2006 coming from French private equity firm AGF and Elaia Partners, and 9M € in a second round in January 2008 led by Index Ventures.
In September 2010, Criteo began a campaign regarding the use of the popular retargeting and its impact on consumer privacy. The campaign aimed to reassure consumers about personalized retargeting and data-driven marketing tactics.
The company denies it relies on personally identifiable information (PII) and doesn’t track identifiable information, no data is shared with advertisers or publishers and no third-party data used for targeting purposes. Retargeting only uses anonymous information from the merchant’s site.
- "Criteo Labs: Opening Ceremony". Criteo Website. Criteo. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Criteo brings its personalized banner ads to US, launches new pricing program - VentureBeat - News - by Nadia Majid". venturebeat.com. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "French Retargeting Company Descends on Silicon Valley". ClickZ. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "CriteoLabs: Opening Ceremony". Criteo Website. Criteo. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Online Ad Exec Greg Coleman Lands at Criteo as President - Kara Swisher - News - AllThingsD". AllThingsD. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Why Greg Coleman Bet on Retargeting". April 7, 2011.
- "Ad tech company Criteo raises $251 million by pricing upsized IPO at $31, above its upwardly revised $27-$29 range". NASDAQ. 29 Oct 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "Criteo Founder JB Rudelle Becomes Executive Chairman, Eric Eichmann Promoted to CEO". Criteo. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- O'Reilly, Lara. "The nasty 'click fraud' legal dispute between ad tech companies Criteo and SteelHouse is over". Business Insider. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "What Marketers Can Learn From The Cautionary Tale Of Criteo Vs. SteelHouse". www.mediapost.com. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- Liyakasa, Kelly (2016-10-04). "Criteo To Acquire HookLogic For $250M In Push For Full Commerce Stack". AdExchanger. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- Betz, SA Editor Brandy (2017-10-18). "Criteo announces new COO". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "macOS High Sierra: How to turn off website tracking in Safari 11". Macworld. 2017-11-04. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "What Apple's ITP cookie-blocker did next | WARC". origin.warc.com. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "Despite Apple's game-changing ITP update, Criteo's revenues have dipped just 1% year-on-year". The Drum. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- Andrew Birmingham (2018-04-25). "Updated: Criteo CEO out, founder returns". Which-50. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "Criteo founder JB Rudelle back at helm in chief executive swap-out". The Drum. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "Why Criteo S.A. Dropped Today". Motley Fool. 2018-08-02. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- Hercher, James (2019-10-30). "Criteo Names Megan Clarken As New CEO To Lead A Turnaround Effort". AdExchanger. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-11-17. Retrieved 2010-11-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Criteo Introduces New Marketing Solution for Traffic Generation and Increasing Customer Engagement". MarTech Advisor.
- "Criteo Launches Self-Serve Retail Media Platform". Weissbrot, Alison-AdExchanger.
- "Criteo Raises $10 Million From Index Ventures". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Here Comes The French Invasion: Bessemer Puts $7 Million Into Ad Retargeting Startup Criteo". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Criteo CEO Rudelle Responds To Recent Concerns Over Retargeting And Consumer Privacy". AdExchanger: News and Views on Data-Driven Digital Advertising. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Our complaints against Acxiom, Criteo, Equifax, Experian, Oracle, Quantcast, Tapad". Privacy International.
- Rudelle, J.B. (2016). They Told Me It Was Impossible: The Manifesto of the Founder of Criteo. Morrisville, North Carolina: Lulu Press. ISBN 978-1-4834-5777-2.