Criticism of communism
|Part of a series on|
Criticism of communism can be divided into two broad categories: those concerning themselves with the practical aspects of 20th century Communist states, and those concerning themselves with communist principles and theory. Authors who are critical of communism are typically opposed to both communist principles and historical policies, though they may focus exclusively on one or the other aspect in their writing.
Some anti-communists argue that communist theory is directly responsible for the problems of 20th century "communism", while others separate theory from practice while maintaining that they are both flawed in their own way. Likewise, some communists defend both theory and practice, while others argue that historical practice diverged from communist principles to a greater or lesser degree.
One may agree with communist principles but disagree with many policies adopted by Communist states (this is quite common among Trotskyists), or, more rarely, agree with policies adopted by Communist states but disagree with communist principles.
The categories of criticisms mentioned above are discussed in separate articles:
- Criticisms of communist party rule is an article dealing with criticisms of the practical policies implemented by 20th century governments claiming to follow the ideology of Marxism-Leninism (these are usually called "Communist states" in the West).
- Criticisms of Marxism is an article dealing with criticisms of Marxist theory itself.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Bosteels, Bruno. The actuality of communism (Verso Books, 2014)
- Blackmer, Donald LM, and Sidney Tarrow, eds. Communism in Italy and France (Princeton University Press, 2015)
- Priestland, David. The Red Flag: A History of Communism (Grove Press, 2009)
- Resnick, Stephen A., and Richard D. Wolff. Class theory and history: Capitalism and communism in the USSR (Routledge, 2013)
- Taras, Raymond C. The Road to Disillusion: From Critical Marxism to Post-communism in Eastern Europe (Routledge, 2015)
- History of the Soviet Union
- Black Book of Communism
- Criticisms of Marxism
- Criticism of socialism
- Economic calculation problem
- Great Chinese Famine
- Great Leap Forward
- Mass killings under Communist regimes
- Revolutions of 1989
- Russian famine of 1921
- Soviet famine of 1932–1933
- Special Period
- Criticisms of communist party rule
- Bruno Bosteels, The actuality of communism (Verso Books, 2014)
- Raymond C. Taras, The Road to Disillusion: From Critical Marxism to Post-communism in Eastern Europe (Routledge, 2015).