Croatan High School
|Croatan High School|
3355 Hwy 24
|School type||Public secondary|
|School district||Carteret County Public Schools|
|NCES School ID||370063002369|
|Teaching staff||54.33 (FTE)|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Coastal 8 Conference|
Croatan High School is a public secondary school in Newport, North Carolina. The high school is part of the Carteret County Public Schools system. It serves the westernmost third of Carteret County, including the towns of Peletier, Cape Carteret, Cedar Point and western half of the island of Bogue Banks, which includes the town of Emerald Isle.
Awards and recognition
In 2009 and 2010, U.S. News & World Report ranked Croatan among the top high schools in the United States, awarding the school silver medals. Croatan High School's class of 2010 marked combined SAT scores (based on math and critical reading) of 1076, up from 1064 the previous year, this was 59 points higher than the national average. The school has also been recognized by the state of North Carolina many times as either a School of Distinction, School of Excellence, or Honor School of Excellence.
Croatan's students are 90% White, 5% Hispanic, 4% African-American, and less than 1% other.
All athletic teams compete in the 2A division level. Croatan holds three state titles, two in Wrestling and one in Women's Golf. The Cougars strongest athletic program is Wrestling in which they are a perennial power in the state. Athletics include •Football •Wrestling •Men's and Women's Golf •Men's and Women's Basketball •Men's and Women's Swim •Cheerleading •Lacrosse •Track and Field •Men's and Women's Soccer
- "Search for Public Schools - Croatan High School (370063002369)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "Croatan High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- "Best High Schools". US News & World Report. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Burke, Cheryl (2010-09-15). "SAT scores higher than state - nation". Carolina Coast Online. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- Student Teacher Ratio Croatan High School - Newport, North Carolina - NC