Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service
|Državni hidrometeorološki zavod|
|Formed||27 August 1947|
|Headquarters||Grič 3, Zagreb, Croatia
|Employees||399 (31 Dec 2011)|
The Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service (Croatian: Državni hidrometeorološki zavod or DHMZ) is Croatia's national agency for weather forecasts, based in Zagreb. As of 2011 the service has 399 full-time employees in 23 departments, in addition to around 3,000 part-time observers around the country.
The agency produces operational weather forecasts using the Unified Model EMEP software for Numerical Weather Prediction (as part of the ALADIN international cooperation project) assisted by human forecasters, and DHMZ regularly supplies forecasts used in news programs broadcast by the Croatian Radiotelevision (HRT), including their prime-time TV news program Dnevnik (in contrast to private-owned channels which employ weather presenters, HRT's forecasts are always presented by qualified meteorologists employed by DHMZ).
DHMZ was established on 27 August 1947 by the government of the People's Republic of Croatia (at the time a constituent part of SFR Yugoslavia), and served as the main Croatian meteorological and hydrological service ever since. Following the breakup of Yugoslavia and Croatia's independence in 1991, DHMZ joined the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) in 1992 and it represents the country in international organizations like the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) and EUMETSAT (European organization for meteorological satellite cooperation).
DHMZ also publishes various publications such as periodicals related to meteorology, annual national climate reports, as well as meteorology dictionaries and climate atlases. They also participate in various scientific projects and their members often publish articles in peer-reviewed journals. Because of this DHMZ has been officially designated as a research institution by the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education ans Sports in 1996.
- Crometeo - Croatian association of amateur meteorologists
- "O nama". klima.hr (in Croatian). Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Publikacije" (in Croatian). Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "Ustrojstvo DHMZ-a" (in Croatian). Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Čačić, Ivan; Pandžić, Krešo; Žibrat, Zvonko, eds. (2014). 160 godina meteoroloških motrenja i njihova primjena u Hrvatskoj [160 Years of Meteorological Observations and Their Application in Croatia] (PDF) (in Croatian and English). Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service. ISBN 978-953-7526-04-7. Retrieved 17 June 2015.