This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Jan Hammer|
|from the album Miami Vice II Soundtrack|
|Released||14 September 1987|
"Crockett's Theme" is an instrumental song written for the hit NBC series Miami Vice. The surname Crockett refers to Don Johnson's character, James "Sonny" Crockett. The initial version of the theme first appeared in the episode Calderone's Return: Part 1 – The Hit List which aired on October 19, 1984. The song was composed by Jan Hammer and appears on the album Miami Vice II, the second volume of music from the television show. It also appeared on Jan Hammer's 1987 album Escape from Television.
Although not a big success in the United States, the song was a smash hit in western Europe, reaching number one in Belgium and the Netherlands for two and four weeks, respectively. It also peaked at number two in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||29|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||4|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||9|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||42|
The Shadows did a cover on their 1990 album Reflection.
It spawned many covers; the notable covers include Trance Atlantic Air Waves in 1998, released as a single.
Between 1991 and 1994, the song was featured in a series of adverts for NatWest in the United Kingdom. It was subsequently re-released as a single in May 1991 in the United Kingdom as an A-side and B-side with Hammer's theme tune for Chancer. It reached number 47 in the UK Singles Chart.
In 2002, "Crockett's Theme" was featured in the soundtrack of video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (as a part of Emotion 98.3 in-game radio station), itself heavily based on Miami Vice. The game would become the fourth best-selling game on PlayStation 2.
In 2006, Hammer was asked to remake the track with American singer TQ.
- "Austriancharts.at – Jan Hammer – Crockett's Theme" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Ultratop.be – Jan Hammer – Crockett's Theme" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jan Hammer" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Swisscharts.com – Jan Hammer – Crockett's Theme". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Jan Hammer Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Songs - GTA: Vice City Wiki Guide - IGN". IGN. Retrieved June 15, 2018.