|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Cumann Lúchtchleas Gael Réalt na Mara|
|Colours:||Maroon and White|
|Grounds:||Cromane GAA grounds|
Cromane play football in maroon and white colours. The club fields teams from under-8 to senior level. The club's name is derived from the village's church, also called Réalt na Mara (Star of the Sea in English). The local national school also carries the same name.
There was a club in Cromane in the mid-1950s. Indeed, in 1954, Pat O'Shea played for the Kerry minors as a Cromane player.
Donnchadh Walsh played Kerry minor for two years (2001/02) as well as under-21 and is a current Kerry senior player. He has won three All-Ireland medals (2007, 2009, and 2014). In 2015 Donnchadh was named as left-half forward on the GAA Football All-Stars team.
Seán O'Sullivan played Kerry minor in 1998 and then had three years as an under-21, losing the 1999 All-Ireland Under-21 Football final against Westmeath. Seán quickly progressed to the Kerry senior football team and played between 2002 and 2009 during which time he won four All-Irelands himself (2004, 2006, 2007, and 2009).
On March 2, 2003, both Donnchadh Walsh and Seán O'Sullivan lined out in the half-forward line for the Kerry senior football team in their National League win (2-11 to 0-14) over Dublin in Killarney.
In November 2015 Donnchadh Walsh was the only Kerry player to be selected to play Australia in a one-off International Rules game in Croke Park.
Cromane's first major triumph on the football field came in 1994 when they claimed the Kerry Novice Championship, a feat they repeated in 1998 - beating Tuosist in the final.
Cromane's first Mid Kerry title came in 1999 when they claimed the O'Sullivan Cup title, three more titles quickly followed in 2002, 2003, and 2006.
In March 2008 Cromane won the Munster Junior B Football Championship beating Cork's St Oliver Plunkett's in the final in Knockaderry, Limerick. The final score was Cromane 1-8, Oliver Plunkett's 0-8. Cromane claimed the honour of representing Kerry having won the 2007 Kerry Novice Championship (Kerry's version of Junior B) by beating Ballydonoghue in Austin Stack Park, Tralee. The final score was Cromane 0-11, Ballydonoghue 2-3.
The Cromane senior football team currently competes in Division 5 of the Kerry County League and in the junior football championship.
- "History". Cromane GAA Club. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "The 2015 Football All Stars". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "Cadbury Munster U21FC Final – Tipperary 1-7 Kerry 1-6 « Munster GAA Web site". Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "kerry Minor team Announced". kerry-gaa.com. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "Terrace Talk :: Kerry Football :: :: 2003 League :: :: Kerry Vs Dublin". www.terracetalk.com. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- RadioKerry. "Donnchadh Walsh Selected On Ireland Rules Squad | Radio Kerry | 96-98FM | Your Voice in The Kingdom". Radio Kerry. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "Realt na Mara CLG: March 2008". cromane.blogspot.ie. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "Nothing novice about Cromane as Walsh and O?Sullivan shine in rain - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- Official Cromane GAA Club website
- Cromane GAA on Facebook
- Cromane GAA on Twitter
- Cromane GAA on Instagram
|This Kerry GAA club related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|