Cromdale, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cromdale is located in Edmonton
Location of Cromdale in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°33′29″N 113°28′01″W / 53.558°N 113.467°W / 53.558; -113.467
Country Canada
Province Alberta
Sector[2]Mature area
 • Administrative bodyEdmonton City Council
 • CouncillorTony Caterina
 • Total1.17 km2 (0.45 sq mi)
665 m (2,182 ft)
 • Total1,927
 • Density1,647/km2 (4,270/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12)
 • Dwellings

Cromdale is an older inner city residential neighbourhood in north east Edmonton, Alberta, Canada overlooking the North Saskatchewan River valley. There was extensive redevelopment in the neighbourhood during the 1960s when several apartment buildings were constructed.[6]

The community is represented by the Parkdale-Cromdale Community League, established in 1921, which maintains a community hall and outdoor rink located at 85 Street and 113 Avenue.[7][8] The Cromdale Community League operated as a separate entity from 1925 until 1986 when it joined the then Parkdale Community League.[8]


In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Cromdale had a population of 1,927 living in 1,334 dwellings,[5] a -7.3% change from its 2009 population of 2,079.[9] With a land area of 1.17 km2 (0.45 sq mi), it had a population density of 1,647 people/km2 in 2012.[4][5]

According to the 2001 federal census, approximately one out of ten (10%) residences in the neighbourhood were constructed before the end of World War II. Two out of three residences (66.6%) were constructed during the 1960s and 1970s when several apartment buildings were constructed in the neighbourhood. A number of residences were constructed between 1946 and 1960 (8.7%) and after 1980 (14.6%).[10]

According to the 2005 municipal census, the majority of residents live in rented apartments and apartment style condominiums. single-family dwellings are a minority, constituting only 14% of all residences. almost seven out of ten (69%) are rented with the remaining three out of ten (31%) being owner occupied.

Distribution of Types Of Residences - 2005 Census[11]
Owned[12] Rented[13] Total
Apartment With Five or More Stories 32% 10% 16%
Apartments With Less Than Five Stories 32% 85% 69%
Single Family Dwelling 36% 5% 14%
Other 1% 0% < 1%
Total 100% 100% 100%

The neighbourhood population is highly mobile, with only one resident in three (31.5%) being resident at the same address for five years or longer according to the 2005 municipal census. Another one in three (29.2%) had moved within the preceding 12 months. One quarter of residents (25.5%) had moved within the previous one to three years.[14]

Cromdale Public School closed in 1980 however, the area is now serviced by Virginia Park Elementary School, operated by the Edmonton Public School System.

The Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium is located just to the west in the adjacent neighbourhood of McCauley.

Cromdale is served by Stadium LRT Station.

The neighbourhood has highly irregular boundaries. It is bounded on the south by the North Saskatchewan River Valley, the west boundary is 84 Street, and the north west boundary is the Canadian National Railway right of way. The Kinnaird Ravine divides the neighbourhood almost in half.

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  3. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  4. ^ a b "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  5. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
  6. ^ "City of Edmonton Map Utility". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
  7. ^ "Parkdale-Cromdale Community League". Parkdale-Cromdale Community League. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
  8. ^ a b Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
  9. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
  10. ^
  11. ^
  12. ^ Residence is owner occupied. Where an apartment is owner occupied, it is likely a condominium.
  13. ^ Residence is occupied by renters. Where an apartment is rented, it is likely in a rental apartment building, though it could be a condominium the owner has rented to a tenant.
  14. ^

External links[edit]