Crookston Municipal Airport
|Crookston Municipal Airport
|Owner||City of Crookston|
|Location||Lowell Township, Polk County, near Crookston, Minnesota|
|Elevation AMSL||899 ft / 274 m|
Crookston Municipal Airport (IATA: CKN, ICAO: KCKN, FAA LID: CKN), also known as Kirkwood Field, is a city owned public use airport located four nautical miles (7 km) north of the central business district of Crookston, a city in Polk County, Minnesota, United States.
The airport provided contract glider training to the United States Army Air Forces, from 1942-1944. Training was provided by L. Millar-Wittig. There was a turf 5,000' all-way airfield for landings and takeoffs. Using primarily C-47 Skytrains and Waco CG-4 non-powered gliders. The mission of the school was to train glider pilot students in proficiency of operation of gliders in various types of towed and soaring flight, both day and night, and in servicing of the gliders on the field.
Facilities and aircraft
Crookston Municipal Airport covers an area of 633 acres (256 ha) at an elevation of 899 feet (274 m) above mean sea level. It has three runways: 13/31 is 4,300 by 75 feet (1,311 x 23 m) with an asphalt surface; 17/35 is 2,977 by 202 feet (907 x 62 m) with a turf surface; 6/24 is 2,096 by 202 feet (639 x 62 m) with a turf surface.
For the 12-month period ending August 31, 2006, the airport had 20,150 aircraft operations, an average of 55 per day: 94% general aviation, 5% air taxi and less than 1% military. In March 2017, there were 36 aircraft based at this airport: all 36 single-engine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kirkwood Field.|
- Other sources
- This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- Shaw, Frederick J. (2004), Locating Air Force Base Sites History’s Legacy, Air Force History and Museums Program, United States Air Force, Washington DC, 2004.
- Manning, Thomas A. (2005), History of Air Education and Training Command, 1942-2002. Office of History and Research, Headquarters, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas ASIN: B000NYX3PC
- Crookston Municipal Airport (Kirkwood Field) at Minnesota DOT airport directory
- FAA Terminal Procedures for CKN, effective May 24, 2018
- Resources for this airport: