Cross, County Clare
|Elevation||45 m (148 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference|
The village of Cross is located on the Loop Head Peninsula, west of Carrigaholt on the road to Kilbaha. It is the civil parish of Kilballyowen. The name could be derived from a cross related to the old church of Killballyowen. It is more likely that the village is named after a once important road crossing as Cross is located in the center of the Loop Head Peninsula.
Cross is home of the local Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) club. The GAA football club of Naomh Eoin was founded on 6 January 1974. It is based at Pairc Eoin. The village gives its name to the parish of Cross (Kilballyowen) in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Killaloe. Cross contains the parish church of Our Lady of Lourdes.
- "An Chrois / Cross". Government of Ireland. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- County Clare, A History and Topography. - 1995, CLASP Press. Original 1837. ISBN 1-900545-07-1
- A History of County Clare, Seán Spellissy. - 2003, Gill & Macmillan. ISBN 0-7171-3460-1. Page 94
- "Cross Village, Co. Clare". Kilballyowen Development Company. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Naomh Eoin GAA". Kilballyowen Development Company. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Cross (Kilballyowen)". Diocese of Killaloe. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
|This article related to the geography of County Clare, Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|