Cross Insurance Center
|Former names||Bangor Arena|
|Location||515 Main Street
Bangor, ME 04401
|Owner||City of Bangor|
|Capacity||Seats: 5,800 (plus 1,500 retractable)
|Broke ground||August 4, 2011|
|Opened||September 10, 2013|
|Construction cost||$65 million
($66.8 million in 2016 dollars)
|Architect||Sink Combs Dethlefs
WBRC Architects Engineers
|Structural engineer||Martin/Martin, Inc.|
|Services engineer||M–E Engineers, Inc.|
|General contractor||Cianbro Corporation|
|University of Maine Black Bears|
Cross Insurance Center is a 5,800-seat multi-purpose arena in Bangor, Maine, United States. The arena holds up to 8,500 people for concerts, and features an attached 2,000-person convention center. It was built at an estimated cost of $65 million. Part of the city's Bass Park complex, it is located across from Hollywood Casino Bangor.
The Bangor Auditorium was a 5,948-seat multipurpose arena located in downtown Bangor. It became a statewide icon by hosting the Maine Principals' Association basketball tournament each February, which is broadcast by the Maine Public Broadcasting Network.
Beginning sometime in the late 2000s, the city began discussing replacing the arena. In May 2011, the city held a public referendum in which voters supported building new facilities to replace the Auditorium and Civic Center by a margin of 3 to 1.
Demolition began at the Bangor Auditorium and Civic Center on June 3, 2013, with the new arena completed.
The facility is managed by Global Spectrum, a division of Comcast. On July 20, 2012, it was announced that Cross Insurance Agency had purchased naming rights to the arena (previously referred to only as "Bangor Arena") for $3 million.
- McCrea, Nick (June 4, 2013). "Cross Insurance Patriarch Takes Ceremonial Seat at $65 Million Bangor Arena". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- Neff, Andrew (August 4, 2011). "Ground Broken for New Bangor Arena, Convention Center". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Neff, Andrew (August 1, 2012). "Bangor Councilors See Lower-Than-Expected Total Debt Service Cost for New Arena". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2017.
- Russell, Eric (June 24, 2010). "Order Given to Design, Price Bangor Arena". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- "Award of Merit: Safety & Best Sports/Entertainment". Engineering News-Record. November 10, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
- "Demolition Begins at Bangor Auditorium". Bangor Daily News. June 3, 2013. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- Neff, Andrew (July 20, 2012). "Cross Insurance Buys Naming Rights for New Bangor Arena, Will Pay $3 Million Over 15 Years". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Mahoney, Larry (July 31, 2013). "UMaine Basketball Teams to Play Most Games at Cross Insurance Center". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cross Insurance Center.|