Cross de Atapuerca
The Cross Internacional de Atapuerca is an annual cross country running competition that takes place in Atapuerca, Spain. Established in 2004, it takes place in early November and is among the first major competitions of the cross country season. In its initial years, it was usually the first permit meeting in the European Athletic Association's cross country season, and it now begins the IAAF Permit Meeting series, having replaced the Cross de Soria event in 2010.
The Cross de Atapuerca has attracted high calibre athletes, including World Cross Country Champions Gebregziabher Gebremariam and Leonard Komon, and Marta Domínguez – the 2009 World Champion in the steeplechase. Around 2500 athletes took part in the 2009 race, which was broadcast on Teledeporte, the sports channel of Spain's state broadcaster TVE. It is part of the Spanish cross country running circuit and was ranked as the country's second best meet in 2008.
The distances for the professional senior competitions are 8.760 km for men and 4.825 km for women. In addition to the elite races, a separate mass race is held for amateur runners. The Cross de Atapuerca also features a number of different categories and distances based on age: four levels for children, youth (under 16s) and junior (under 18s) competitions, and finally a masters race for runners over 35.
Past elite race winners
|Edition||Year||Men's winner||Women's winner|
|I||2004||Jesús Antonio Núñez (ESP)||Nieves Zarza (ESP)|
|II||2005||Isaac Viciosa (ESP)||Sara Valderas (ESP)|
|III||2006||Hicham Chatt (MAR)||Marta Domínguez (ESP)|
|IV||2007||Elijah Kipterege (KEN)||Simret Sultan (ERI)|
|V||2008||Alemayehu Bezabeh (ESP)||Margaret Muriuki (KEN)|
|VI||2009||Gebregziabher Gebremariam (ETH)||Genzebe Dibaba (ETH)|
|VII||2010||Teklemariam Medhin (ERI)||Genzebe Dibaba (ETH)|
|VIII||2011||Imane Merga (ETH)||Linet Masai (KEN)|
|IX||2012||Imane Merga (ETH)||Hiwot Ayalew (ETH)|
|X||2013||Imane Merga (ETH)||Hiwot Ayalew (ETH)|
|XI||2014||Imane Merga (ETH)||Belaynesh Oljira (ETH)|
|XII||2015||Imane Merga (ETH)||Belaynesh Oljira (ETH)|
|XIII||2016||Aweke Ayalew (BHR)||Senbere Teferi (ETH)|
- Spain's Bezabeh claims second at Cross de Atapuerca; Monteiro takes bronze in women's race[permanent dead link]. European Athletics (2009-11-08). European Athletic Association. Retrieved on 2009-11-16.
- IAAF Cross Country 2010 / 2011 season to begin and end in Spain. IAAF (2010-10-22). Retrieved on 2010-10-24.
- Valiente, Emeterio (2008-11-10). ‘Hurricane’ Bezabeh defeats World XC silver medallist Komon in Atapuerca. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-11-17.
- Valiente, Emeterio (2009-11-08). Gebremariam and G. Dibaba secure Ethiopian double in Atapuerca. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-11-09.
- Dominguez to kickstart her Cross Country season at European Athletics permit race in Burgos. European Athletic Association (2009-11-07). Retrieved on 2009-11-16.
- Programa. Cross de Atapuerca. Retrieved on 2009-11-16.
- Circuito. Cross de Atapuerca. Retrieved on 2009-11-16.