Location in Ashley County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||6 sq mi (15.5 km2)|
|• Land||5.8 sq mi (15.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||164 ft (50 m)|
|• Density||1,016.2/sq mi (393.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0057612|
Crossett is the largest city in Ashley County, Arkansas, United States, with a population of 5,507, according to 2010 Census Bureau estimates. Combined with North Crossett and West Crossett, the population is 10,752. Crossett was incorporated in 1903.
Crossett is located at (33.124730, -91.963466).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.0 square miles (16 km2), of which, 5.8 square miles (15 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (2.83%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,097 people, 2,418 households, and 1,745 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,045.2 people per square mile (403.8/km²). There were 2,663 housing units at an average density of 456.5 per square mile (176.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 59.50% White, 39.02% Black or African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 0.64% from two or more races. 1.10% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,418 households out of which 31.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.4% were married couples living together, 16.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.8% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the city, the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 87.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,442, and the median income for a family was $43,864. Males had a median income of $41,667 versus $22,206 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,288. About 13.7% of families and 16.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.1% of those under age 18 and 12.0% of those age 65 or over.
- James D. Johnson, Democratic gubernatorial nominee in 1966; former Chief Justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court
- Gretha Boston, actress
- K. T. Oslin, country singer and songwriter
- Barry Switzer, football player and coach
- Rylan Reed, All-American Offensive Tackle at Texas Tech. Also performed as a right-handed pitcher for the Chicago White Sox
- Jeremy Evans, Basketball player for BC Khimki
- Jessie Clark, Football player for the Green Bay Packers
- Keith Kidd, American football player
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Crossett has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Crossett, Arkansas
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture entry: Crossett (Ashley County)