Crosshill railway station
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Cathcart District Railway|
|1 March 1886||Opened|
|1 January 1917||Closed|
|1 June 1919||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Crosshill from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Crosshill railway station is a railway station serving the Crosshill area of Glasgow, Scotland. It is located on the Cathcart Circle Line but also has trains going to and from Neilston and Newton. Services are provided by Abellio ScotRail on behalf of Strathclyde Partnership for Transport.
The station opened concurrently with the Cathcart District Railway, on 1 March 1886. It was closed as a wartime economy measure between January 1917 and June 1919. The 1923 Grouping saw ownership pass to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and then onto the Scottish Region of British Railways in January 1948. Many trains over the route began to be worked by diesel multiple units from the summer of 1958, with overhead electrification following in 1962. A line voltage of 6.25kV A.C was used due initially to clearance issues with the bridges & cuttings along the route, though this was subsequently increased to the standard 25kV in the early 1970s.
A typical weekday and Saturday service is five trains per hour to Glasgow Central (one train per hour in each direction on the Cathcart Circle, two from Neilston and one from Newton via Kirkhill), two trains per hour to Neilston and one train per hour to Newton (the one other hourly train to/from Newton runs via Langside). A Sunday service is almost the same except the Cathcart Circle trains do not operate. As a result, only three trains per hour operate to Glasgow Central.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Mount Florida||Abellio ScotRail
Line and station open
Cathcart District Railway
Line and station open
- Butt (1995), page 72
- Kernahan (1980)
- Table 223 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Kernahan, Jack (1980). The Cathcart Circle. Falkirk, Stirlingshire: Scottish Railway Preservation Society. ISBN 0-9043-9601-0. OCLC 85045869.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.