Crosville Motor Services (Weston-super-Mare)
|Defunct||21 April 2018|
|Alliance||Somerset Passenger Solutions|
|Fleet||circa 30 (2013)|
Crosville Motor Services was a bus and coach operator based in Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, England. It operated both contract hire and stage carriage services from 2011 until April 2018 and it also operated a fleet of modern and heritage vehicles.
The original Crosville Motor Services was a major bus operator, covering Mid and North Wales and North West England. The name fell out of use after that company was privatised but has been resurrected by this new operator. Some of the heritage fleet were once used by the original Crosville.
Although contract and private hire work had been undertaken from 2011, Crosville's first four commercial bus routes commenced operation in April 2012. These included routes from Weston-super-Mare to Sand Bay and Burnham-on-Sea, also a sea front tour to Uphill which was operated by heritage buses on summer Sundays and public holidays.
In April 2013 Crosville commenced operating a further two routes, 4 and 83.
In 2016, Crosville's proprietor commenced operating services during the construction of EDF Energy's Hinkley Point C nuclear power station through a 50% shareholding in Somerset Passenger Solutions. Although operated independently, there was some sharing of resources with Crosville.
In July 2017, six routes were withdrawn and an enforced reduction in fleet size by the Traffic Commissioner following a public enquiry. In February 2018, the company announced that it would cease all local bus services and school operations at the conclusion of services on 21 April 2018. Following a further public enquiry by the Traffic Commissioner, Crosville's operating licence was revoked from 25 April 2018. All services on the final day were operated by vehicles from the heritage fleet.
In January 2012 the fleet comprised 25 vehicles including modern coaches and the heritage fleet. To operate its first four commercial services it added two Dennis Dart single deck buses and a part-open top Leyland Olympian from Xelabus, Eastleigh, also two Optare Solos and a Mercedes-Benz 811D minibus from Blue Iris Coaches, Nailsea. After operations ceased, the heritage fleet of four buses was retained in Weston-super-Mare by parent company JJP Holdings SW.
- Companies House extract company no 5706548 Crosville Motor Services Limited
- Companies House extract company no 248119 North British Bus Limited formerly Crosville Motor Services Limited
- "News". Crosville Motor Services. Archived from the original on 4 April 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Crosville awarded 2 new routes Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. Crosville Motor Services 9 April 2013
- Find out more about the south west businesses that will benefit from Hinkley Point C EDF Energy 31 July 2015
- You think green Southern National buses no longer run in Somerset? Watch this space Archived 4 June 2016 at the Wayback Machine. Chard & Ilminster News 6 February 2016
- Southern National Returns Bus & Coach Buyer issue 1365 12 February 2016 page 9
- "Weston's Crosville to close its doors" Coach & Bus Week issue 1332 6 March 2018 page 8
- Crosville awarded North Fringe Bristol Commuter Service Archived 7 January 2017 at the Wayback Machine. Crosville Motor Services 1 March 2016
- New coach operator for North Somerset commuter service Archived 7 January 2017 at the Wayback Machine. North Somerset Council 8 March 2016
- Robins, Sheridan. "Six bus routes cancelled in Weston-super-Mare". Archived from the original on 8 March 2018.
- Millett, Briana. "Crosville ordered to scale back its operation after serious mechanical failures". Archived from the original on 8 March 2018.
- Baker, Hannah (5 March 2018). "Crosville to end bus and school services in Weston-super-Mare". Archived from the original on 8 March 2018.
- "Crosville to cease all bus operations" Buses issue 757 April 2018 page 7
- "TC revokes Crosville's O-Licence". Route One. Archived from the original on 19 April 2018.
- "Crosville commemorates its closure with vintage day" Buses issue 759 June 2018 page 9
- Woodsford, Henry (25 April 2018). "New bus service running in Weston after Crosville axes routes". Weston Mercury. Archived from the original on 25 April 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Crosville to close next month after seven years in Weston Route One 6 March 2018
- Robinson, Sarah. "Temporary solution found for axed Weston bus route". Archived from the original on 21 March 2018.
- "Crossville running Day 2012". Trains Ferries Busses. Archived from the original on 16 October 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Revised Crosville challenges First". Buses. Key Publishing (687): 10, 54. June 2012.
- Crossville Motor Services-closes Weston operations Bus & Coach Buyer 7 March 2018