Logo of Croteam from 1993 to 2011
|Industry||Video game industry|
Croteam was initially established in 1993 as a "garage games" company. The company was founded by six people and is based in Zagreb, Croatia. Their first video game was Football Glory, a football game which was published by Black Legend for the Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200 platforms in 1994, and then for PC in 1995. Sensible Software threatened legal action against Croteam, asserting that Football Glory was a clone of their video game Sensible Soccer. Croteam ceased further development on the title and released it as freeware in 1998. Their second video game, titled Save the Earth, was a children's game based on a Croatian TV series and released for the Amiga 4000. One year later, Croteam finished 5-A-Side Soccer, an indoor soccer version of Football Glory for the Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200.
A long hiatus followed, broken by the first title of the Serious Sam series, Serious Sam: The First Encounter in 2001, followed by Serious Sam: The Second Encounter in 2002. Both Serious Sam games debuted on Windows and utilized Croteam's in-house Serious Engine. In 2002, Serious Sam for the Xbox was released, which consisted of both games with the additional number of cinematics, an updated scores system, combos, multikills, auto-aiming and other console specific features. A sequel, Serious Sam 2 for both PC and Xbox was released on 11 October 2005, using Serious Engine 2.
In 2007, development began on Serious Sam 3: BFE, a prequel to the original game. In 2010, Croteam released high definition remakes of the original Serious Sam games with upgraded textures and models, enhanced engine, UI and audio, and additional features. Serious Sam 3: BFE was released for Windows in November 2011, soon followed by OS X and Linux versions. The Xbox 360 version of Serious Sam 3: BFE was released on Xbox Live Arcade in September 2012, and later made its way to PlayStation 3 via PlayStation Network in March 2014. In December 2014, Croteam released the first-person puzzle game The Talos Principle for Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Football Glory (1994)
- Save the Earth (1995)
- Inordinate Desire (1995)
- Five-A-Side Soccer (1998)
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (2002)
- Serious Sam 2 (2005)
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter (2009)
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (2010)
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (2011)
- The Talos Principle (2014)
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope (2016, Steam Early Access)
- Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter (2016, Steam Early Access)
- Serious Sam 4 (TBA)
- The Talos Principle 2 (TBA)
- "About Croteam". Croteam. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Varney, Allen (25 October 2005). "Serious Cro". The Escapist. Defy Media. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Calvert, Justin (23 September 2003). "Serious Sam 2 development update". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Sinclair, Brendan (27 September 2005). "Serious Sam sequel locked and loaded". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (4 September 2014). "The Talos Principle gets a December release date on Steam". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Grayson, Nathan (7 June 2013). "Croteam Funding Serious Sam 4… Via Humble Bundle". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- O'Connor, Alice (20 May 2016). "The Talos Principle 2 Discreetly Announced". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 20 May 2016.