Crown Jewel (2019)
|Crown Jewel (2019)|
Promotional poster featuring various WWE wrestlers
|Date||October 31, 2019|
|City||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Venue||King Fahd International Stadium|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|WWE in Saudi Arabia chronology|
|Crown Jewel chronology|
Crown Jewel (2019) is an upcoming professional wrestling pay-per-view and WWE Network event produced by WWE for their Raw and SmackDown brands that will take place on October 31, 2019 at King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It will be the second WWE event promoted under the Crown Jewel chronology and the fourth held under WWE's 10-year partnership in support of Saudi Vision 2030.
In early 2018, the WWE began a 10-year strategic multiplatform partnership with the General Sports Authority in support of Saudi Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia's social and economic reform program. The first event under this new partnership, the Greatest Royal Rumble, was held at the King Abdullah Sports City's King Abdullah International Stadium in Jeddah on April 27. In September, a followup titled Crown Jewel was announced to be held on November 2, 2018. On September 27, 2019, WWE's Arabic Website announced that a second Crown Jewel event would be held at the King Fahd International Stadium on October 31. On September 27, it was announced that Hulk Hogan and The Undertaker would be making appearances at the event.
The show will include matches resulting from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portray heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches. Results are predetermined by WWE's writers on the Raw and SmackDown brands, while storylines are produced on WWE's weekly television shows, Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown.
On the September 30 episode of Raw, WWE Hall of Famers Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair were guests on "Miz TV" where Hogan and Flair teased a match against each other. The Miz then announced that at Crown Jewel, there would be a 5-on-5 tag team match between Team Hogan and Team Flair, with Hogan and Flair as the respective coaches. Universal Champion Seth Rollins and Randy Orton were selected as the captains of Team Hogan and Team Flair, respectively. Later, Rusev joined Team Hogan while King Corbin joined Team Flair.
On the September 30 episode of Raw, Brock Lesnar and his advocate Paul Heyman interrupted an in-ring promo by Rey Mysterio. Lesnar proceeded to brutally attack Mysterio as well as Mysterio's son, Dominic, who was seated in the front row. After Lesnar defeated Kofi Kingston to win the WWE Championship on SmackDown's 20th Anniversary that Friday, Mysterio along with former Ultimate Fighting Champion (UFC) mixed martial artist Cain Velasquez appeared, making his WWE debut. Velasquez, the man who defeated Lesnar for the UFC Heavyweight Championship by technical knockout in 2010, entered the ring and attacked Lesnar. Lesnar managed to escape and retreated. In a backstage interview, Velasquez stated he came to extract revenge from Lesnar for what he did to Mysterio and Dominic, who was later revealed to be Velasquez's godson. At the Crown Jewel press conference in Las Vegas on October 11, it was announced that Lesnar would defend the WWE Championship against Velasquez at Crown Jewel.
During SmackDown's 20th Anniversary on October 4, Braun Strowman taunted professional boxer Tyson Fury, who was seated in the front row. After Strowman's match, Fury jumped the barricade only to be restrained by security. On the following Raw, Fury appeared, wanting an apology from Strowman. Strowman said he was just messing around on SmackDown until Fury seemed to indicate that he wanted to fight. After exchanging verbal insults, a massive brawl broke out between the two that had to be separated by security and other wrestlers. At the Crown Jewel press conference in Las Vegas on October 11, it was announced that Strowman would face Fury at Crown Jewel.
|1||Team Hogan (Seth Rollins, Rusev, TBA, TBA, and TBA) (with Hulk Hogan) vs. Team Flair (Randy Orton, King Corbin, TBA, TBA, and TBA) (with Ric Flair)||10-man tag team match|
|2||Braun Strowman vs. Tyson Fury||Singles match|
|3||Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Cain Velasquez||Singles match for the WWE Championship|
- Johnson, Mike (August 5, 2019). "THE NEXT WWE EVENT IN SAUDI ARABIA WILL TAKE PLACE..." PWInsider. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "Saudi Arabia to host the Greatest Royal Rumble". WWE. March 5, 2018. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "National Transformation Program 2020" (PDF).
- Adam Silverstein (March 5, 2018). "WWE news, rumors: 'Greatest Royal Rumble,' NXT injury, Jericho-NJPW done?". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Jefferson Lake (March 5, 2018). "WWE: Saudi Arabia to host 50-man Royal Rumble". Sky Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "WWE® CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH SET FOR CROWN JEWEL". WWE Corporate. October 6, 2018. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Lee, Joseph (October 6, 2018). "WWE News: Crown Jewel Moved To Smaller Venue, John Cena Thanks JBL For Hair Tips, Shawn Michaels and Triple H Comment On Super Show-Down". 411Mania. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- Satin, Ryan (September 27, 2019). "WWE Crown Jewel Returning to Saudi Arabia on Halloween". Pro Wrestling Sheet. Retrieved September 28, 2019.
- Brandon Stroud (September 27, 2019). "The Undertaker And Hulk Hogan Are Being Advertised For WWE's Next Crown Jewel In Saudi Arabia". Uproxx. Retrieved September 28, 2019.
- Grabianowski, Ed (2006-01-13). "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on March 6, 2012. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on March 19, 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Steinberg, Brian (May 25, 2016). "WWE's 'Smackdown' Will Move To Live Broadcast On USA (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Powell, Jason (September 30, 2019). "9/30 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Seth Rollins vs. Rusev for the WWE Universal Championship, Robert Roode and Dolph Ziggler vs. Heavy Machinery for the Raw Tag Titles, AJ Styles vs. Cedric Alexander for the U.S. Championship, Miz TV with Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved October 1, 2019.
- Powell, Jason. "10/04 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of The Rock's return, Kofi Kingston vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship, Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon in a career vs. career ladder match, Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks and Bayley". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- WWE (October 4, 2019). Cain Velasquez here for Brock Lesnar: SmackDown Exclusive, Oct. 4, 2019. YouTube. Retrieved October 6, 2019.
- Powell, Jason (October 7, 2019). "10/07 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of the Hell in a Cell followup with Seth Rollins and "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt, WWE Women's Tag Champions Kairi Sane and Asuka vs. Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair, Randy Orton vs. Rusev, Tyson Fury's appearance". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- Keller, Wade (October 11, 2019). "WWE adds two big matches to Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia on Oct. 31 – Lesnar vs. Velasquez and Strowman vs. Tyson Fury". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- Burdick, Michael (September 30, 2019). "Team Hogan vs. Team Flair (5-on-5 Tag Team Match)". WWE. Retrieved October 1, 2019.
- Burdick, Michael. "Braun Strowman vs. Tyson Fury". WWE. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- Burdick, Michael. "Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez - WWE Championship Match". WWE. Retrieved October 11, 2019.