Croydon Hills, Victoria
|Population||5,185 (2011 census)|
|• Density||2,070/km2 (5,370/sq mi)|
|Area||2.5 km2 (1.0 sq mi)|
|Location||31 km (19 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Maroondah|
Croydon Hills is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 31 km north-east of Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Maroondah. At the 2011 Census, Croydon Hills had a population of 5,185.
Croydon Hills is bounded by Plymouth Road to the south, Yarra Road to the east and Bemboka Road to the west. The suburb is located in the outer east of Melbourne.
Approximately 5,600 people live in Croydon Hills, with the majority of household incomes between the $50k-80k and $80k-$100k mark.
The suburb was formerly mixed used farmland and orchards. It was developed into spacious suburban housing during the 1980s. The architectural style is typically single storey, brick veneer, with large allotments affording both front and rear gardens, as well as off-street parking for several vehicles.
Croydon Hills has many parks, with walking tracks and native bushlands, such as Settlers Orchard, Yarrunga Reserve, Candlebark Walk and Narr-Maen Reserve. Native birds such as the kookaburra, magpie, galah, sulphur crested cockatoo, magpie-lark, purple swamphen, Eurasian coot, Pacific black duck and Australian wood duck are a common sight in both the parklands and backyard gardens. The common brushtail possum inhabits the area.
Croydon Hills has several churches located in the suburb as well.
The nearest shopping areas are McAdam Square and Burnt Bridge.
The Yarrunga Community Centre is at 76-86 Croydon Hills Drive, in Yarrunga Reserve, adjacent to Croydon Hills Primary School.
There are three schools in Croydon Hills:
The nearest train station is the Croydon railway station. There are few facilities within easy walking distance and most inhabitants rely on motor vehicles.
Buses in Croydon Hills are limited to the following route:
- 380 Ringwood – Croydon via Croydon Hills (every day). Operated by Ventura Bus Lines and Transdev Melbourne. This route operates between Ringwood and Croydon railway stations, via Croydon Hills.
- 360 (rapper) - attended Luther College, Croydon
- Matthew Haanappel- Paralympic Swimmer lived in the Croydon Hills area during his childhood.
- Aaron Baddeley - attended Luther College, Croydon
- City of Croydon - the former local government area of which Croydon Hills was a part
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Croydon Hills (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Search for an education provider on the State Register". Victorian Registrations & Qualifications Authority. State of Victoria (Department of Education and Training). 27 July 2017. Retrieved 13 July 2019.