Croydon North by-election, 2012
The Croydon North seat in the House of Commons
The Croydon North by-election was a by-election for the Parliament of the United Kingdom's House of Commons constituency of Croydon North in the London Borough of Croydon. The by-election was caused by the death of its Member of Parliament Malcolm Wicks. It took place on Thursday, 29 November, the same day as by-elections in Middlesbrough and Rotherham. The by-election was won by Steve Reed of the Labour Party.
The constituency covers the north west of the London Borough of Croydon and includes Thornton Heath, Norbury, Selhurst and parts of South and Upper Norwood. It is made up of eight electoral wards from the borough:
- Bensham Manor, Broad Green, Norbury, Selhurst, South Norwood, Thornton Heath, Upper Norwood, and West Thornton
Croydon's three constituencies are contiguous with the boundaries of the London Borough of Croydon. Croydon North borders the seats of Carshalton and Wallington, Mitcham and Morden, Streatham, Dulwich and West Norwood, Lewisham West and Penge, Beckenham, Croydon Central, and Croydon South.
On 3 November 2012, former children's book publisher and current Leader of London Borough of Lambeth Council, Councillor Steve Reed was chosen to be the Labour candidate after a closely fought battle with London Assembly member Val Shawcross.
On 25 October, the Green Party chose local campaigner Shasha Khan, dubbed by local reporters as 'Croydon's Green Knight'
Winston McKenzie, a perennial election candidate who was the UKIP candidate in Tottenham, an independent candidate at the Brent East by-election, 2003, Veritas Party nominee at Croydon North in 2005 and independent candidate for London Mayor has been chosen as the prospective candidate for the UK Independence Party.
On 29 October, the Chair of the London Race and Criminal Justice Consortium and a former Senior Policy Advisor to the then Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, Lee Jasper, was selected as the candidate for the Respect Party.
|Liberal Democrat||Marisha Ray||860||3.5||-10.5|
|Christian Peoples||Stephen Hammond||192||0.8||N/A|
|National Front||Richard Edmonds||161||0.7||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||John Cartwright||110||0.4||N/A|
|Nine Eleven Was An Inside Job||Simon Lane||66||0.3||N/A|
|Young People's||Robin Smith||63||0.3||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Gerry Jerome||7,226||14.0||−3.2|
- Croydon North by-election, 1940
- Croydon North by-election, 1948
- List of United Kingdom by-elections
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election
- "Labour MP Malcolm Wicks dies at 65". Jersey Evening Post. 29 September 2012.
- Davies, Gareth. "Labour hits campaign trail as Croydon North by-election pencilled in for November 29". This is Croydon. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- http://www.croydon.gov.uk/contents/departments/democracy/pdf/599154/Croydon_North_2012-11-29/Statementpersonsnominatedandpoll.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Croydon by-election will set a record of sorts Andrew Pelling
- Profile Steve Reed Archived 2010-05-16 at the Wayback Machine. London Borough of Lambeth
- Croydon Advertiser. London. 3 November 2012 http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Breaking-Steve-Reed-selected-Labour-candidate/story-17223500-detail/story.html. Missing or empty
- Tory candidate's life on the poverty line on a deprived estate The Guardian
- "Tories choose Stranack to contest Croydon North seat". 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Duffett, Helen. "Marisha Ray selected for Lib Dems in Croydon North". LibDemvoice. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- Croydon Greens: Green Knight selected Croydon Green Party
- Cotterill, Mark. "100 nationalists attend JT memorial event in Preston". Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- Croydon North by-election: Labour's Steve Reed secures win BBC News, 30 November 2012
- Parliamentary election results 2010, Croydon North Archived 2011-08-07 at the Wayback Machine. Croydon Council