Croydon South, Victoria
|Population||4,572 (2016 census)|
|• Density||2,180/km2 (5,640/sq mi)|
|Area||2.1 km2 (0.8 sq mi)|
|Location||31 km (19 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Maroondah|
Croydon South is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 30 km east of Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Maroondah. At the 2016 Census, Croydon South had a population of 4,572.
Croydon South has a small shopping strip, on the corner of Eastfield and Bayswater Roads, incorporating over 20 retail outlets and a Post Office. It is close to the foothills of Mount Dandenong and the Dandenong Ranges.
Croydon South Post Office opened on 1 February 1961 as the suburb was developed.
In term one of the 2009 school year, Croydon South Primary School merged with Tinternvale Primary School. Unfortunately, falling enrolments have necessitated the merger. The Education Department agreed to a large increase in funding for the merger at the Tinternvale site and to bring the newly merged school into line with current standards.
Croydon South has a Medical centre located in the Merrindale Shopping Centre. Croydon South is also located 2.5km from Maroondah Hospital.
The suburb has an Australian Rules football team, the South Croydon Bulldogs, who became the 2017 Division One premiers in the Eastern Football League. Croydon South has two cricket teams; South Croydon, based at Cheong Park and Eastfield, based at Benson Oval. Both the teams compete in the Ringwood District Cricket Association (RDCA). The South Croydon Youth Club (S.C.Y.C) Scorpions basketball club is also based at Cheong Park, offering basketball to local youth, age 6 to 18. There is also a netball team, SCYC Flames Inc Netball Club, which competes in the Lilydale-Yarra Valley Netball Association.
- City of Croydon - the former local government area of which Croydon South was a part
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Croydon South (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 11 April 2008
- Club, South Croydon Football. "South Croydon Football Club". South Croydon Football Club. Retrieved 2018-02-16.
- Full Point Footy, Eastern Football League, retrieved 21 October 2008