Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
|"Crushed by the Wheels of Industry"|
|Single by Heaven 17|
|from the album The Luxury Gap|
|B-side||"Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Part II)"|
|Format||7" single, 12" single|
|Genre||Synthpop, new wave|
|Label||Virgin Records, Arista Records, PolyGram Inc.|
|Songwriter(s)||Glenn Gregory, Ian Craig Marsh, Martyn Ware|
|Producer(s)||British Electric Foundation, Greg Walsh|
|Heaven 17 singles chronology|
"Crushed by the Wheels of Industry" is a song by the British synthpop band Heaven 17, released in 1983 as the fifth and final single from their second studio album The Luxury Gap. It was written by Glenn Gregory, Ian Craig Marsh and Martyn Ware, and produced by Marsh and Ware (as British Electric Foundation) and Greg Walsh. It reached No. 17 in the UK and spent seven weeks on the chart. It would be the band's last Top 20 hit in the UK until 1992's "Temptation (Brothers In Rhythm Remix)".
Upon release, Tom Hilbert of Smash Hits commented: "Highly entertaining pop funk with sardonic 'woo-woos' and a cynical jab at society in general. Witty dance music with gormless backing chants and a piano that is everything that Shakatak isn't." Number One wrote: "Thankfully Heaven 17 have finally clicked and make dance records that you can actually dance to (unlike "Penthouse and Pavement"). Now their stylish sound is pure nourishment for the feet, as well as for the head and heart." Paul Simper for Number One said: "The threesome did work pretty hard at getting a hit before with fine dance records like "Penthouse and Pavement" and "Play to Win"; "Crushed By the Wheels" is along similar lines and though still less than great it's easily the best of the three they've made as popstars."
- 7" single
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Part I)" - 3:43
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Part II)" - 3:15
- 12" single
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Parts I & II - Uninterrupted single version)" - 6:58
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Album version)" - 5:55
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Extended dance version)" - 6:21
- 12" single (US release)
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Industrial Mix)" - 6:54
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Album version)" - 5:51
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (Dub version)" - 6:17
- 12" single (Canada release)
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (The Industrial version)" - 6:52
- "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry (The Extended dance version)" - 6:20
|French Singles Chart||34|
|Irish Singles Chart||10|
|UK Singles Chart||17|
In popular culture
- The song appears in the 1984 film, Electric Dreams.
- Heaven 17
- Glenn Gregory - vocals
- Martyn Ware - synthesizers, backing vocals, producer
- Ian Craig Marsh - synthesizers, producer
- Additional personnel
- Greg Walsh - producer, engineer
- "Heaven 17 - Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry (Part One) / Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry (Part Two) - Virgin - UK - VS 628". 45cat. 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2018-03-21.
- "Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Heaven 17 - Full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Heaven 17 - Articles and reviews". Heaven17.de. 1983-09-01. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "InfoDisc : Tout les Titres par Artiste". Infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Jaclyn Ward (1962-10-01). "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-23.