Location of the city of Crystal
within Hennepin County, Minnesota
|• Mayor||Jim Adams|
|• Total||5.88 sq mi (15.23 km2)|
|• Land||5.78 sq mi (14.97 km2)|
|• Water||0.10 sq mi (0.26 km2)|
|Elevation||892 ft (272 m)|
|• Estimate (2015)||22,943|
|• Density||3,832.4/sq mi (1,479.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||55422, 55427, 55428, 55429|
|GNIS feature ID||0642518|
|Website||City of Crystal|
Crystal Airport, a small general aviation field, is located within the city limits.
Crystal has been awarded the "Minnesota Star City" designation for economic development.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 22,151 people, 9,183 households, and 5,640 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,832.4 inhabitants per square mile (1,479.7/km2). There were 9,634 housing units at an average density of 1,666.8 per square mile (643.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 78.1% White, 10.5% African American, 0.7% Native American, 3.9% Asian, 3.0% from other races, and 3.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.5% of the population.
There were 9,183 households of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.8% were married couples living together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.6% were non-families. 30.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.97.
The median age in the city was 38.1 years. 21.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 30.7% were from 25 to 44; 26.5% were from 45 to 64; and 13.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.2% male and 50.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,698 people, 9,389 households, and 6,102 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,929.3 people per square mile (1,516.2/km²). There were 9,481 housing units at an average density of 1,641.3 per square mile (633.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.34% White, 4.20% African American, 0.59% Native American, 3.44% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.03% from other races, and 2.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.51% of the population.
There were 9,389 households out of which 28.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.9% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.0% were non-families. 27.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 34.6% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $48,736, and the median income for a family was $54,738. Males had a median income of $39,494 versus $29,673 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,163. About 2.5% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.7% of those under age 18 and 3.6% of those age 65 or over.
The city of Crystal has a Council–Manager form of government. Under this plan, the elected members of the council set the policies for the operation of the city. The council hires a City Manager, who is responsible for the administration of all city business.
The City Council consists of seven members, which include a Mayor and six council members. The current Mayor is Jim Adams. Current council members include Laura Libby, Olga Parsons, Elizabeth Dahl, Jeff Kolb, Casey Peak and Julie Deshler.
Crystal is serviced by the Robbinsdale School District.
- Tom Dooher – former president of Education Minnesota, was born in Crystal.
- Todd Richards – head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League.
- Travis Richards - former NHL player.
- Jeff Schuh – former NFL player, was born in Crystal.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved November 2, 2014.