Crystal Brook, South Australia
The rising sun catching the Crystal Brook grain silos on a clear winter's morning; the town sports oval in the foreground
|Elevation||105 m (344 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Port Pirie Regional Council|
Crystal Brook is situated on Goyder's Line near the border of two climate systems. While apparently cold semi-arid, the town benefits from a temperate mediterranean climate zone near to the east, making possible slightly more intense farming in the region. To the west and north-west lies some marginal, semi-arid farmland. The local farming community still supports many small businesses in the town.
The Sydney–Perth and the Adelaide–Darwin railways share the same approximately 530 kilometres (329 mi) of track between Crystal Brook and Tarcoola. There is a triangular junction at Crystal Brook which joins Tarcoola, Adelaide and Sydney. Another triangular junction at Tarcoola joins Crystal Brook, Darwin and Perth.
- Arthur Percy Sullivan – recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Rob Kerin – Premier of South Australia between 22 October 2001 and 5 March 2002
Crystal Brook Show
The Crystal Brook Show has been held annually since the early 1880s.
Close to the north-south midpoint of the trail, Crystal Brook marks a change in climate. Hot, dry summers and mild winters lie to the north, and more temperate conditions to the south.
Crystal Brook's sporting facilities cater for hockey, tennis, croquet, golf, lawn bowls, netball, basketball, swimming, gymnasium exercise, junior soccer, horse riding, motor-cross, football and cricket.
In regional competitions the town colours are red and white, with most teams known as 'The Roosters'.
The Crystal Brook Football Club won the Northern Areas (Australian Rules) Football Association premiership for a record 19th time in 2012 and the town has twice staged a round of the Australian motor-cross championships.
Broadband became available at Crystal Brook on 16 April 2005 after lobbying from residents. Both ADSL 1 and ADSL2+ speeds are available to both residential and business customers.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Crystal Brook (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2007-11-18.
- South Australian Rail Public timetable 1963, pg3
- The Köppen climate classification system classifies the Crystal Brook region as BSk, or cold semi-arid, and the bordering region to the east as Csb, or temperate mediterranean
- Beetaloo Reservoir SA Water
- The Maitland Mercury (8 Sep 1883) quotes a Sydney 'Evening News' report that the (South Australian) Governor and Commissioner for Crown Lands departed Adelaide to attend the Crystal Brook Show
- Heysen Trail The South Australian Government's Department for Environment and Heritage (includes a map)
- Northern Areas Football Association List of Premiers from 1909 onwards
- Crystal Brook (at GeoCities) for sporting and community group contacts, gardening tips, walking trails and photo gallery
- Crystal Brook Show (at GeoCities) has a comprehensive list of the show's judging program