March 28, 1979 |
Crystal Cox (born March 28, 1979 in Norfolk, Virginia) is an American track and field athlete who was on the national team at the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics and appeared as a contestant on the seventeenth season of the reality series Survivor.
Cox won a gold medal in the women's 4x400 m relay at the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics. In Athens she ran in the preliminary round but not in the final. DeeDee Trotter, Monique Henderson, Sanya Richards and Monique Hennagan ran in the final. In 2004, she was the American indoor 200 m champion.
On January 29, 2010, the Associated Press and ESPN.com reported that Cox admitted to using anabolic steroids from 2001 to 2004. As a result, she forfeited all of her results from that time period, and agreed to a four-year suspension that ended in January 2014. IAAF has recommended that the whole U.S. women's 2004 Olympic 4x400 metres relay team be stripped of their medals.
Despite her Olympic training, Cox lost 12 of the 14 tribal challenges, though she made it to the final six. Her main alliance consisted of Kenny Hoang, Jessica "Sugar" Kiper, Susie Smith, and Matty Whitmore. On the December 11, 2008 episode, Cox was voted out and became the fifth member of the jury.
- Associated Press (January 29, 2010). "Relay team member suspended 4 years". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- Cherry, Gene (March 15, 2010). "IAAF to recommend US relay team be stripped of gold". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Crystal Cox bio". CBS.com. Retrieved August 27, 2008.
- Crystal Cox profile at IAAF
- Crystal Cox at Trackandfield.com
- Crystal Cox biography for Survivor: Gabon at CBS.com
|This article about a track and field Olympic medalist of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|