Crystal Mountain (Michigan)
Weldon Township, Michigan
|Top elevation||1,132 ft (345 m).|
|Base elevation||757 ft (231 m).|
|Skiable area||103 acres (420,000 m2)|
|Longest run||One half mile|
|Lift system||9 total: 1 detachable high-speed quad chair, 3 fixed-grip quad chairs, 2 triple chairs, 1 double chair, and 2 "carpet style" surface lifts|
|Lift capacity||12,400 skiers per hour|
|Snowfall||132" average per year|
|Night skiing||27 slopes lighted for night skiing, five nights a week (early and late season varies)|
Crystal Mountain Resort is a resort and conference center located in Weldon Township, Benzie County, Michigan, just west of Thompsonville. The resort's area forms the Crystal Mountain census-designated place. The resort offers recreational activities including downhill and cross country skiing the winter months, and golf, water activities, and an alpine slide in other seasons. The resort was founded in 1956. In March 2015 the resort announced it was planning a $9 million USD expansion project that will add new ski runs, lifts, lodging, retail and other amenities.
Skiing and snowboarding
The resort's skiing and snowboarding season runs from approximately Thanksgiving weekend to early April, depending on weather conditions. The resort receives an average of 11' of natural snowfall, however artificial snow can be made when natural snowfall is lacking. The resort has 58 downhill slopes, 7 chairlifts and 2 surface lifts, with 27 slopes lighted for night skiing during the peak ski season.
Crystal Mountain features two 18-hole championship golf courses. The Betsie Valley course, the resort's original golf course, plays at 6,567 yards (6,005 m) from the blue tees. The Mountain Ridge course, which hosts the Michigan Women's Open each summer, plays 7,077 yards (6,471 m) from the blue tees.
The resort's golf school offers golf instruction to players of all ages and ability levels.
Crystal Mountain maintains Michigan's only Alpine slide. The resort also maintains mountain biking trails available during the Summer.
Overnight lodging is available in over 250 hotel rooms, suites, condominiums, townhouses and vacation homes, which are located near the skiing and golf facilities throughout the resort property.
Awards and recognition
Crystal Mountain is one of 60 golf courses in Michigan to be certified by the Michigan Turfgrass Environmental Stewardship Program. Its golf school has been named a Top 25 golf school by Golf Magazine. The resort's PGA Director of Golf, Brad Dean, has been named Teacher of the Year by the Michigan section of the PGA in 1999, 2001 and 2011.
- "Ski Resorts: Years They Were Founded - International Skiing History Association". Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "$9M Crystal Mountain expansion will add 'Backyard' ski slopes, lodging, retail". MLive.com. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "The List:Top 25 Golf Schools". Golf Magazine. 8 October 2008. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Teacher Of The Year". Professional Golfers Association, Michigan Section. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Michigan’s ski resorts back up and running". Detroit Free Press. 13 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Adkins, Corey (13 January 2016). "Sightseeing in Northern Michigan: Crystal Mountain Skier Service". Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Crystal Mountain Resort and Spa: A Huffington Post Travel Ski Resort Guide". The Huffington Post. 30 December 2011. Retrieved 29 January 2016.