Crystal R. Fox
|Crystal R. Fox|
October 14, 1965 |
Tryon, North Carolina, US
Crystal R. Fox (born October 14, 1965) is an American actress and singer. She is best known for her roles as Luann Corbin in the NBC/CBS police drama series In the Heat of the Night (1989-1995), and as Hanna Young in the Oprah Winfrey Network prime time soap opera, The Haves and the Have Nots (2013–present).
Life and career
Fox was born in Tryon, North Carolina. She made her big screen debut playing Katie Bell in the Academy Award-winning comedy-drama film Driving Miss Daisy (1989) starring Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy. She later joined the cast of NBC police drama series In the Heat of the Night as of third season, playing Luann Corbin. She was a regular cast member through the series finale in 1995, appearing in more that 100 episodes. In 1990s, Fox also had supporting roles in films Drop Squad (1994) and Once Upon a Time...When We Were Colored (1995) opposite Phylicia Rashad and Al Freeman, Jr.. On television, she later guest-starred on Law & Order, The Sopranos, and Third Watch. Fox also co-starred opposite Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen in the 2001 PBS production of The Old Settler.
Fox has appeared on many stage productions during her career. She worked in New York City, Alexandria, Silver Spring, and Atlanta, where she lives. She received a Helen Hayes Award nomination for her performance in the 2002 play Home. Her other stage credits include For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide / When the Rainbow Is Enuf, Antony and Cleopatra, The Comedy of Errors, A Raisin in the Sun, The Colored Museum, The Amen Corner, The Boys from Syracuse, Bessie's Blues, Little Shop of Horrors and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The was a member of the Alliance Theatre for many years. During 2014-15, she acted as lead in the play, Blues for an Alabama Sky.
In 2013, Fox was cast in the Oprah Winfrey Network prime time soap opera, The Haves and the Have Nots produced by Tyler Perry. She plays the leading role of Hanna Young, the single mother who works as the rich family's maid and also serves as the best friend and confidante of the lady of the house, Katheryn Cryer (played by Renee Lawless). The series also stars Tika Sumpter, Angela Robinson, and John Schneider. Fox has received positive reviews for her performance in the show.
|1989||Driving Miss Daisy||Katie Bell|
|1991||Separate but Equal||NAACP telephone receptionist||Television film|
|1995||Once Upon a Time...When We Were Colored||Miss Doll|
|2001||The Old Settler||Lou Bessie||Segment "Charmaine"|
|2016||Coffee Klatch||Cindy Mercer|
|1989-1995||In the Heat of the Night||Luann Corbin||Series regular, 102 episodes|
|1996||Savannah||DA Laine Thompkins||Episodes: "From Here to Paternity" and "Creep Throat"|
|2001||Law & Order||Mancelli||Episode: "White Lie"|
|2001||The Sopranos||Nurse||Episode: "Pine Barrens"|
|2001||Third Watch||Nunez||Episode: "And Zeus Wept"|
|2010||Tyler Perry's House of Payne||CJ & Janine's nanny/housekeeper, Ms. Willamina||Recurring role, 5 episodes|
|2013–present||The Haves and the Have Nots||Hanna Young||Series regular|
- "Crystal R. Fox Biography". film reference. Retrieved 2013-04-08.
- Encyclopedia of African American Actresses in Film and Television. McFarland. 2009. ISBN 978-0786437900.
- "The Old Settler". 25 April 2001. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Crystal Fox as 'Hanna Young'". OWN. Retrieved 2013-04-08.
- "Fox, Crystal R". Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Crystal Fox". Alliance Theatre. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- Jewish Times. "Crystal Fox". Atlanta Jewish Times. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- Brian Lowry. "Tyler Perry's "The Haves and Have Nots" Premieres on OWN - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- Team TVLine. "Keegan-Michael Key's 'Playing House' Performance — Season 2, Episode 4 - TVLine". TVLine. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Crystal Fox spills 'The Haves and the Have Nots' secrets before season finale - Rolling Out". Rolling Out. Retrieved 15 February 2016.