Crystal Renn posing for a photograph, April 2012.
June 18, 1986
Miami, Florida, United States
|Spouse(s)||Gregory Vrecenak, (2007– 2009)|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Hair color||Dark Brown|
|Dress size||(US) 6 ; (EU) 36 ; (UK) 10|
|Shoe size||(US) 9 ; (EU) 40|
|Manager||Women Management, New York; Elite Model Management, London; Elite Model Management, Paris|
Renn started her modeling career in high fashion at the age of 14 after being spotted by a professional scout in her hometown in Clinton, Mississippi. Renn was told she would need to lose almost a third of her total body weight if she wanted to become a model. Later, after years of anorexia nervosa, Renn reassessed her diet and exercise habits. After gaining 70 pounds (32 kg) and re-emerging as a U.S. size 12, she was re-marketed by her agents as a plus-size model. Renn has authored a book, Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves, about her experiences in the fashion industry in relation to her several body type transformations.
On June 30, 2007, Renn married her longtime boyfriend Gregory Vrecenak at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola in Manhattan, New York. Fashion portraits of her wedding were taken by photographer Brian Boulos. In mid-2009 the couple ended their marriage. Renn currently resides in Brooklyn, New York.
In November 2010, Renn said she had lost weight through hiking and yoga, and that her dress size dropped to a US 8.
Renn has worked repeatedly with notable fashion photographers Ruven Afanador and Steven Meisel. Crystal has enjoyed lucrative contracts with many high-profile plus-size clothing manufacturers such as Lane Bryant, Evans and Torrid. Notable runway appearances include Shiatzy Chen, Chanel, Zac Posen, Vena Cava, Heatherette, Elena Miro, and most notably for Jean Paul Gaultier in his Spring/Summer prêt-à-porter 2006 collection in Paris, garnering favorable and extensive media interest. She recently appeared in the F/W 2010 Jean Paul Gaultier campaign and has appeared in campaigns for H&M, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Saks Fifth Avenue, Jean Paul Gaultier, Jimmy Choo, Barneys, DSquared², Zac Posen and Nordstrom. She has also appeared in editorials for American, Australian, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Latin American, and Teen Vogue, Italian Elle, Russian, Australian and American Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, V, i-D and Vanity Fair. Renn also appeared in the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
Renn is also notable for appearing in back-to-back campaigns in 2007 wearing big crayons and regular-sized (not specifically plus-size) clothing for Spanish retailer Mango; her photos appearing amid those of smaller models and without notation regarding her larger size, a rare occurrence in conventional apparel advertising.
Renn's first book, Hungry, was co-authored by Marjorie Ingall and released on September 8, 2009. Renn reported for Glamour at New York Fashion Week 2010 on the fall collections. As of 2012, Renn's yearly income was in the high six figures.
References and sources
- Renn, Crystal (2009). Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition, and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves. ISBN 978-1-4391-0123-0.
- "Elite Model Management London: CRYSTAL RENN Portfolio". 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Elite Model Management Paris: CRYSTAL RENN Portfolio". 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "Crystal Renn Profile". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- Rettberg, Felix (October 7, 2009). "SPIEGEL Interview With Plus-Size Model: 'I Was Asking How Many Calories Chewing Gum Had'". Der Spiegel. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- Renn, Crystal; Ingall, Marjorie (2009). Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves. Simon and Schuster. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- Yuan, Jada (January 25, 2010). "Crystal Renn on Her Weight Loss, New Exercise Routine, and Walking for Karl Lagerfeld". New York (magazine). Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- Wilson, Eric (January 13, 2010). "The Triumph of the Size 12s". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- Park, Michael (February 15, 2012). "Crystal Renn, Former Plus-Size Model, Poses for Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue". People. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Odell, Amy (January 6, 2011). "Crystal Renn on Her Weight Loss, New Exercise Routine, and Walking for Karl Lagerfeld". New York (magazine). Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Crystal Renn : the movie of the new MR Denim campaign on vogue.it". MarinaRinaldi.com. November 19, 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- Crystal Renn; Marjorie Ingall. Hungry. Simon & Schuster. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- Cindi Leive (02/11/2010). "On The C.L.: Meet Our Brand-New Fashion Week Blogger (Our Whole Staff Has a Girl Crush)". Glamour. Retrieved 2010-11-28. Check date values in:
- Carpenter, Wendy (April 11, 2012). "Former Plus-sized Model Crystal Renn a Shadow of Her Former Self". shine.com. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crystal Renn.|
- Crystal Renn at the Fashion Model Directory
- Crystal Renn on Twitter
- Crystal Renn on Instagram
- Australia photo shoot, May 2009 at Harper's BAZAAR
- Interview with Models
- Interview 2009 with The Guardian
- Articles by Crystal Renn at Glamour