|Origin||Lisgoold, Cork, Ireland|
|Genres||Country and Western|
Country and Irish
Crystal Swing are a new wave Country and Western, and Country and Irish showband, from Lisgoold, County Cork, Ireland. The family group is made up of mother Mary Murray-Burke and her children Dervla Burke, Derek Burke and Oisin Nee.
The group rose to national fame in February 2010 when a video of "He Drinks Tequila" became a viral 'sensation' after their video was posted by several well-known bloggers including Irish drag performer Panti and comedy writers Robert Popper and Graham Linehan. A few days later the video was posted by Sean Moncrieff on the website of Irish radio station Newstalk. The video achieved 80,000 hits in four days and as of 2 April 2010 the group's video have collectively received over 1,000,000 hits on YouTube. "He Drinks Tequila" gained international recognition on 3 March when American chat show host and American Idol judge Ellen DeGeneres sent a link to the YouTube video on her official Twitter page. Despite being offered to perform on Newstalk, Crystal Swing opted to perform on the RTÉ flagship show The Late Late Show.
In 2010, Crystal Swing appeared on satellite television show, Rural TV. A video of their appearance was then posted on YouTube, and immediately gained thousands of views daily. TV talk show host Ellen DeGeneres tweeted about the group. On 12 March, they made their first live television appearance on Irish television on The Late Late Show with Ryan Tubridy. On 15 March, they appeared on Newstalk 106-108fm with Seán Moncrieff, and on 16 March they appeared on The Afternoon Show. Later in the month they made appearances on Xposé and Ireland AM. On 6 April, they flew to Hollywood to make an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. The show was recorded on Thursday 8 April, and was broadcast in America on Monday, 12 April.
After their initial media exposure, the band undertook an extensive tour of the major venues in Ireland with a five-piece band and support acts. The band has appeared with stars such as Lily Allen and Bonnie Tyler as well as most of the home-grown Irish stars of the music industry.
Since 2010, Crystal Swing have continued to tour and have featured on many mainly Irish TV and Radio shows including Living with Lucy, Celebrity Bainisteoir, Driving me Crazy, Republic of Telly, Celebrity Head Chef, Charity ICA Bootcamp, Mastermind and many others.
The band have also performed in London, Portugal and the Caribbean.
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2010||The Best Years of Our Lives
|2010||"He Drinks Tequila"||18||The Best Years of Our Lives|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart.|
- "About Crystal Swing". Crystalswing.com. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- Una Mullally (7 March 2010). "Pocket Profile: Crystal Swing". Tribune.ie. Archived from the original on 10 March 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "Panti's Blog Job". PantiBar. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "You think you know wrong? You don't know wrong". Whythatsdelightful.wordpress.com. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "Crystal Swing- He drinks Tequila | Newstalk – Ireland's National Independent Talk Radio Broadcaster". Newstalk.ie. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "DeGeneres keeps internet momentum going for Crystal Swing". BreakingNews.ie. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "Video of the Day: Ellen Celebrates St. Patrick's Day – The Ellen DeGeneres Show". Ellen.warnerbros.com. 17 March 2010. Archived from the original on 22 March 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "2fm Chart Blog". Raidió Teilifís Éireann. Archived from the original on 27 March 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "DeGeneres keeps internet momentum going for Crystal Swing". BreakingNews.ie. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Eva Longoria Parker – Monday, April 12, 2010 – Promos". Ellen.warnerbros.com. 12 April 2010. Archived from the original on 22 April 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Steffen Hung. "Discography Crystal Swing". irishcharts.com. Retrieved 12 January 2013.