Crystal Township, Oceana County, Michigan
Crystal Township, Michigan
|• Total||36.0 sq mi (93.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.0 sq mi (93.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||814 ft (248 m)|
|• Density||23.3/sq mi (9.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626145|
- Crystal Valley is an unincorporated community on Crystal Creek at . A post office opened July 14, 1871, and operated until February 28, 1954.
- Elmwood is an area of the township that was first settled in 1873 and had a school built in 1876.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.0 square miles (93 km2), of which, 36.0 square miles (93 km2) of it is land and 0.03% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 832 people, 239 households, and 182 families residing in the township. The population density was 23.1 per square mile (8.9/km²). There were 404 housing units at an average density of 11.2 per square mile (4.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 79.45% White, 0.24% African American, 1.80% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.12% Pacific Islander, 14.90% from other races, and 3.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 31.13% of the population.
There were 239 households out of which 42.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.1% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.8% were non-families. 18.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.03 and the average family size was 3.48.
In the township the population was spread out with 34.0% under the age of 18, 10.2% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 18.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females, there were 108.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $31,719, and the median income for a family was $37,955. Males had a median income of $30,417 versus $17,813 for females. The per capita income for the township was $10,899. About 14.8% of families and 22.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.9% of those under age 18 and 21.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Crystal Township, Oceana County, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 142.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Crystal Valley, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Crystal Valley Post Office (historical)
- Romig 1986, p. 181.