|Born||Kevin Luke Swanson
November 2, 1983
Palm Springs, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||146 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Palm Springs, California|
|Team||Jackson's Submission Fighting|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Rigan Machado
Black belt in Judo
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Kevin Luke "Cub" Swanson (born November 2, 1983) is an American mixed martial artist currently signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of August 17, 2015, he is #6 in the official UFC featherweight rankings. and ranked the #4 Featherweight in the world by Sherdog.
Swanson was born and raised mostly in Palm Springs, California with a Swedish-American father and a Mexican-American mother, along with his four siblings. Swanson's father died three months after he was born, and because of his mother's heavy grieving, Swanson and his siblings were then adopted by a distant relative until his mother healed. He was raised by a religious family and spent most of his early life in church. Swanson was also home-schooled for most of his young life. However, when Swanson was 14, his adoptive parents divorced and he was returned to his mother. He then went to Cathedral City High School, along with future boxer Timothy Bradley, but Swanson soon began associating himself with street gangs, and was involved in many fights. When he was still a teenager, the young Swanson and two of his friends were caught committing a house robbery which caused Swanson to be placed in a juvenile detention center. Two years after his release when he was 19 years old, Swanson was working with children who have cerebral palsy and then practicing Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He was eventually given an invitation to train with UFC fighter Joe Stevenson, which Swanson accepted and soon began his MMA career.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Swanson made his WEC debut on March 24, 2007 with a victory over Tommy Lee by guillotine choke. He next defeated Micah Miller at WEC 28 via unanimous decision. Following an eleven fight winning streak, Swanson lost to former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver, who was making his WEC and Featherweight debut. Swanson was forced to tap out at just 0:35 of round one due to a guillotine choke after attempting a single leg takedown.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On October 28, 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting merged with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As part of the merger, all WEC fighters were transferred to the UFC.
After just over a year out of action, Swanson returned to face Ricardo Lamas on November 12, 2011 at UFC on Fox 1, becoming the last WEC fighter imported from the WEC/UFC merger to debut in the UFC. He lost the fight via submission (arm triangle choke) in the second round.
Swanson faced Charles Oliveira on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Early in the first round, Swanson hit Oliveira with body (liver) shot, which visibly appeared to hurt Oliveira. Swanson followed it up with an overhand right sending Oliveira to the canvas resulting in a KO victory for Swanson. Swanson received a $65,000 bonus for Knockout of the Night.
Swanson was expected to face Dennis Siver on February 16, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. However, Siver was forced out of the bout, and was replaced by Dustin Poirier. Swanson won by unanimous decision.
Swanson's bout with Dennis Siver was rescheduled for July 6, 2013 at UFC 162. After a back and forth first two rounds, Swanson defeated Siver via TKO due to punches in the third round. The performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Swanson faced Max Holloway on April 18, 2015 at UFC on Fox 15. He lost the fight by submission in the third round due to a mounted guillotine choke after being out-struck for the first two rounds. Following the fight, Swanson announced via Twitter that he had suffered serious injuries, "Well a broken jaw and a broken right hand...just another day at the office lol. I love all my fans. Thanks for your support".
Championships & accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- Fight of the Night (Three times)
- 2012 All-Violence First Team
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|28 matches||21 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||21–7||Max Holloway||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold||April 18, 2015||3||3:58||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||21–6||Frankie Edgar||Submission (neck crank)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson||November 22, 2014||5||4:56||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||21–5||Jeremy Stephens||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Stephens||June 28, 2014||5||5:00||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||20–5||Dennis Siver||TKO (punches)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||3||2:24||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||19–5||Dustin Poirier||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||18–5||Charles Oliveira||KO (punch)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||1||2:40||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Catchweight (146.4 lbs) bout; Oliveira missed weight. Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||17–5||Ross Pearson||TKO (punches)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||2||4:14||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||16–5||George Roop||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||2||2:22||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||15–5||Ricardo Lamas||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos||November 12, 2011||2||2:16||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||15–4||Mackens Semerzier||Decision (split)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||14–4||Chad Mendes||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–3||John Franchi||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 44||November 18, 2009||3||4:50||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||13–3||José Aldo||TKO (flying knee and punches)||WEC 41||June 7, 2009||1||0:08||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||13–2||Hiroyuki Takaya||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 37: Torres vs. Tapia||December 3, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–2||Donny Walker||Submission (rear-naked choke)||IFBL 11||December 23, 2007||3||1:24||Niles, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Jens Pulver||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 31||December 12, 2007||1||0:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–1||Micah Miller||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 28||June 3, 2007||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–1||Tommy Lee||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 26: Condit vs. Alessio||March 24, 2007||1||3:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–1||Chuck Kim||KO (punch)||BIB||November 17, 2006||1||4:51||Bakersfield, California, United States|
|Win||8–1||Charlie Valencia||TKO (punches)||KOTC: BOOYAA||October 13, 2006||1||4:52||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||7–1||Richard Montano||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Rapid Fire||August 4, 2006||2||5:00||San Jacinto, California, United States||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||6–1||Shannon Gugerty||TKO (punches)||TC 13||March 11, 2006||2||3:40||Del Mar, California, United States|
|Win||5–1||Fernando Arreola||Submission (punches)||KOTC 63: Final Conflict||December 2, 2005||1||3:21||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||4–1||Mike Corey||TKO (doctor stoppage)||KOTC 61: Flash Point||September 23, 2005||2||2:42||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||Armando Sanchez||Submission (punches)||KOTC 58: Prime Time||August 5, 2005||1||1:59||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||2–1||Martin Bautista||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Total Combat 7||January 29, 2005||2||N/A||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Win||1–1||Joe Morales||Submission (punches)||Total Combat 6||October 24, 2004||1||2:28||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Loss||0–1||Shannon Gugerty||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Total Combat 4||July 25, 2004||1||0:15||Tijuana, Mexico|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Machida vs. Rockhold". UFC.com. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Cub Swanson - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "Fighter Rankings". UFC.com. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. July 27, 2014.
- "Cub Swanson High School". Retrieved 2014.
- "No regrets for Cub Swanson as he battles for respect in the UFC". bleacherreport.com. October 20, 2012.
- Staff (2008-12-04). "WEC 37 FIGHTER AWARDS NET $7,500 BONUSES". mmaweekly.com.
- Larry Csonka (2009-04-02). "Diego Nunes Injured, WEC 40 Fight With Cub Swanson Off". 411mania.com.
- "WEC 44: Brown vs. Aldo results". www.wec.tv/index.cfmom. 2009-11-19.
- "WEC 44 bonuses: Aldo, Roller, Swanson and Franchi earn $10,000 awards". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved November 19, 2009.
- "Cub Swanson set to welcome the 'Korean Zombie' to WEC 48 on April 24". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- "Leonard Garcia Replaces Cub Swanson, Fights Jung at WEC 48 in April". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Chad Mendes vs Cub Swanson AT WEC 50 in August". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-06-22.
- John Morgan (2010-11-12). "WEC 52 bonuses: Koch, Faber, Swanson and Semerzier earn $10K awards". mmajunkie.com.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "WEC vets Eric Koch vs. Cub Swanson targeted for UFC on Versus 3". mmajunkie.com. January 10, 2011.
- "Cub Swanson out at UFC on Versus 3, Erik Koch awaits new opponent". mmajunkie.com. February 24, 2011.
- "Erik Koch vs. Cub Swanson rebooked for July's UFC 132 event in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. 2011-04-06.
- "Training injury forces Cub Swanson out of UFC 132, Erik Koch awaits new foe". mmajunkie.com. June 2, 2011.
- "Cub Swanson vs Ricardo Lamas booked for Nov. 12 in Anaheim". mmamania.com. September 3, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX 2 adds Roop vs. Swanson". mmajunkie.com. December 5, 2011.
- "Ross Pearson vs. Cub Swanson added to UFC on FX 4 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. March 29, 2012.
- "Charles Oliveira vs Cub Swanson in the works for UFC 152 in Toronto". mmamania.com. August 2, 2012.
- "UFC 152 results: Charles Oliveira vs. Cub Swanson". mmajunkie.com.
- "UFC 152 Bonus Winners". TopMMANews.com. September 22, 2012.
- Staff (2012-12-12). "Cub Swanson vs. Dennis Siver Set as Co-Main Event for UFC on Fuel 7 in England". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Dustin Poirier replaces Dennis Siver, meets Cub Swanson at UFC on FUEL TV 7". mmajunkie.com. January 17, 2013.
- Tom Ngo (March 28, 2013). "Dennis Siver Faces Cub Swanson at UFC 162". 5throundcom. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Damon Martin (2014-03-18). "Cub Swanson vs. Jeremy Stephens headlines UFC Fight Night in San Antonio". msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Mike Dyce (2014-09-24). "Cub Swanson to fight Frankie Edgar in main event of UFC Fight Night in Austin". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Jamie Penick (2014-11-23). "UFC Fight Night 57 Results: Frankie Edgar scores latest stoppage in UFC history in dominant win over Cub Swanson". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-02-15). "Cub Swanson vs. Max Holloway targeted for UFC on FOX 15 in April". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-15.