Cuban Stars (East)
|Cuban Stars (East)|
New York, New York
The Cuban Stars (East) were a team of professional baseball players from Cuba and other Latin American countries who competed in the Negro leagues in the eastern United States from 1916 to 1933. They generally were a traveling team that played only road games.
From 1916 to 1929, the Cuban Stars (East) were owned by Alex Pompez. Because they carried the same name as another, contemporaneous Cuban baseball team that after 1916 primarily played in the midwestern United States, the two teams are generally distinguished as the Cuban Stars (East) and the Cuban Stars (West). From 1916 to 1922 they were an independent team that played in the New York and northeast region of the United States; because of their ties to the region they were also referred to as the New York Cuban Stars early on.
League play and demise
From 1923 to 1928, they competed in the Eastern Colored League and in 1929 they played in the American Negro League. After the collapse of the American Negro League in 1929, Nat Strong re-constituted the Cuban Stars and they competed as an independent team until 1933.
- Francisco Coimbre – P, RF
- Martín Dihigo – 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, P, 1922–27, 1930
- Emilio Navarro – 3B, SS, 1928–29
- Alejandro Oms – OF (primarily CF), 1917, 1922–28, 1930–32
- Hogan, pp. 386–387; 404–405. Riley, pp. 233–235. Holway pp. 169, 180, 191, 203, 214, 227, 266.
- Riley, p. 577. Holway, pp. 240, 249.
- "Negro Leagues Ballot Batter Stats" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-08-10. Retrieved 2010-01-31. Riley, pp. 587–588. Holway pp. 169, 180, 191, 203, 214, 227, 240, 266, 278.
- Hogan, Lawrence D. (2006), Shades of Glory: The Negro Leagues and the Story of African-American Baseball, Washington DC: National Geographic, ISBN 0-7922-5306-X
- Holway, John B. (2001), The Complete Book of Baseball's Negro Leagues: The Other Half of Baseball History, Fern Park, FL: Hastings House Publishers, ISBN 0-8038-2007-0
- Riley, James A. (1994), The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues, New York: Carroll & Graf, ISBN 0-7867-0959-6