Cube Life: Island Survival
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Cube Life: Island Survival|
|Platform(s)||Wii U, Android, Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Cube Life: Island Survival is an indie sandbox video game developed and published by Cypronia. It was released for the Wii U in June 2015, for Steam in April 2018, for Android in January 2019, and should be released for the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Due to the nature of its block-building, open world gameplay, and its graphic style, the game was noted for being a clone of the 2011 game Minecraft.
Mojang's popular sandbox title Minecraft, which saw its first console outing on the Xbox 360 in 2012, was not officially announced for the Wii U until December 2015. Prior to this, Microsoft wholly acquired Mojang in September 2014, and at the time Minecraft was already either available or announced for most major platforms except Nintendo's. Following the acquisition, many gaming news outlets expressed skepticism that Minecraft would arrive on any Nintendo platform, let alone Wii U. However, later that same month, startup developer Nexis Games announced their own sandbox title UCraft for the Wii U. According to Nintendo Life, UCraft is regarded as very similar in both graphical aesthetic and gameplay to Minecraft, and likely "could fulfil a key gap in the market on the Wii U." Due to Nexis Games' poor track record, and following the sketchy development of UCraft, other indie developers decided to follow suit and release their own iterations of Minecraft-inspired titles for Nintendo platforms. One of those developers was Cypronia.
Cypronia announced Cube Life: Island Survival in January 2015 with a release date later that year, promising that the "goal is [to] create the best block building open-world sandbox game for Nintendo platforms." Cypronia emphasized they would continue to update the game throughout 2015 and beyond, improving the game based on consumer feedback via Miiverse, Facebook, Twitter and various online community forums, such as on their official website. Cypronia was keen on distancing Cube Life: Island Survival from being defined as a Minecraft clone.
In May 2015, Cypronia announced the game would be available in both North America and Europe the following month. Cypronia CEO Stefan Pavelka was confident that their title has a lot to offer, claiming, "If we compare the game to competitors, other Wii U games of that genre, we will offer much more fun and greater value, either by means of lower price or by providing more content and features." The game had a promotional discount during launch period.
In January 2019, game was released also on Android.
With Cube Life: Island Survival becoming very popular on the Wii U, Cypronia announced Cube Life: Island Survival HD, which they described as a special edition of the original game. Cube Life: Island Survival for the Nintendo Switch, and competitor consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Though the original game did run in full 1080p HD, the remaster would be in 4K. In Spring 2018, Cube Life: Island Survival HD made its way into the Steam store under the same name as the original game. Later the game would be ported to Android. As of 2020 there have been no official updates from Cypronia regarding the future of the Switch, PS4 and XB1 versions of the game, although their website still describes all three of these ports as "coming soon". The most recent update to the PC version of the game was in February 2020.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2019)
Nintendo Life gave the game a 7/10, praising the game's new ideas but criticizing the long load times.
- "Cube Life: Island Survival on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Cube Life: Island Survival - Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Our Games". cypronia.com. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- Calvert, Darren (January 19, 2015). "Cube Life: Island Survival is Another Minecraft-Inspired Title Heading to the Wii U eShop". Nintendo Life. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Whitehead, Thomas (September 30, 2014). "Nexis Games is Developing U Craft, a Minecraft Clone, for the eShop". Nintendo Life. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Whitehead, Thomas (May 18, 2015). "UCraft is a Wii U Exclusive Once Again". Nintendo Life. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- @NE_Brian, Brian (November 4, 2016). "Cube Life Island Survival HD Heading to Switch". Nintendo Everything. Retrieved November 21, 2016.
- McFerran, Damien (May 21, 2015). "Minecraft Clone Cube Life: Island Survival Confirmed For June Release, Launch Discount Revealed". Nintendo Life. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Steam :: Cube Life: Island Survival :: Cube Life Patch v1.6.6. Mac version available!". steamcommunity.com. 2018-06-26. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- Vogel, Mitch (11 June 2015). "Cube Life: Island Survival review". Nintendo Life. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Cube Life: Island Survival for Wii U Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 March 2020.