|Mature fruit and cut showing pulp and seeds.|
H.C.Cutler & Whitaker
Cucurbita ecuadorensis is a species of squash, discovered in 1965 growing wild in Ecuador. Like most wild gourds and squashes, it is creeping vine and is often found climbing over other vegetation. It has been found only in the western provinces of Guayas and Manabi. There is evidence that it was domesticated in Ecuador around 10,000 years ago, likely for its seeds, but no direct records exist and it is no longer cultivated. It is resistant to many diseases of cultivated Cucurbita species, and has been used to breed resistance to several diseases into common squashes. For example, researchers at Cornell University used Cucurbita ecuadorensis to breed resistance to papaya ringspot virus, watermelon mosaic virus, and powdery mildew, into common Cucurbita maxima cultivars. Cucurbita ecuadorensis is listed on the IUCN Red List as vulnerable, and is found protected in the Machalilla National Park.
- "Cucurbita ecuadorensis". IUCN Red List. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Cutler, Hugh C.; Whitaker, Thomas W. (1968). "A New Species of Cucurbita From Ecuador". Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 55 (3): 392–396. doi:10.2307/2395132.
- Cutler, Hugh C.; Whitaker, Thomas W. (1968). "A New Species of Cucurbita from Ecuador". Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden (Missouri Botanical Garden Press) 55 (3): 392. doi:10.2307/2395132. JSTOR 2395132.
- Cucurbita ecuadorensis information from the USDA Germplasm Resources Information Network
- Hancock, James (2012). Plant evolution and the origin of crop species. Oxfordshire: CAB International. p. 237. ISBN 9780851998749.
- R. Dumas de Vaulx and M. Pitrat. "Realization of the Interspecific Hybridization (F1 and BC1) Between Cucurbita pepo and C. ecuadorensis". North Carolina State University. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Cole, Chittaranjan (2012). Genetics Genomics and Breeding of Cucurbits. Clemson, South Carolina, USA: Science Publishers. p. 40. ISBN 9781578087662.
|External identifiers for Cucurbita ecuadorensis|
|Encyclopedia of Life||5734185|
|This Cucurbitales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|