|• Mayor||Hüseyin Coşkun AYDIN (AKP)|
|• Kaymakam||Cengiz Ayhan|
|• District||1,940.29 km2 (749.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,350 m (4,430 ft)|
|• District density||27/km2 (71/sq mi)|
Göksun (Ancient greek: Kykysós, Κυκυσός, or Koukousós, Κουκουσός; Latin: Coxon or Cucusus) is a town and district of Kahramanmaraş Province in the Mediterranean region of Turkey, near one of the sources of the Ceyhan River (ancient Pyramos).
Cucusus has an ancient history, first included in Cataonia, then in Cappadocia, and then in the Roman province of Armenia Secunda. The Byzantine bishops, Paul the Confessor (died 350 AD), John Chrysostom (died 407 AD) and Emperor Basiliscus (died 476 AD) either died in or were exiled to this remote place. Of its bishops, Domnus took part in the Council of Chalcedon (451), Longinus was a signatory of the joint letter of the bishops of the province of Armenia Secunda to Byzantine Emperor Leo I the Thracian in 458 concerning the murder of Proterius of Alexandria, Ioannes was at the Second Council of Constantinople (553), and another Ioannes at the Trullan Council of 692. No longer a residential bishopric, Cucusus is today listed by the Catholic Church as a titular see.
2009 helicopter crash
On March 25, 2009, a chartered helicopter carrying Great Union Party's (BBP) Muhsin Yazıcıoğlu, three of his party's local leaders, and a reporter crashed at Mount Keş. The pilot and all the passengers but the reporter were killed. Ismail Güneş, who initially survived, made an emergency call reporting the accident. A massive search and rescue operation, attended by thousands and assisted by helicopters and aircraft, was conducted. However, the wreckage and the five bodies were recovered only 47 hours later. The corpse of the reporter was found five days later far from the crash site.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Raymond Janin, v. Cucuse in Dictionnaire d'Histoire et de Géographie ecclésiastiques, vol. XIII, 1956, coll. 1084-1085
- Michel Lequien, Oriens christianus in quatuor Patriarchatus digestus, Paris 1740, Vol. I, coll. 451-452
- Pius Bonifacius Gams, Series episcoporum Ecclesiae Catholicae, Leipzig 1931, p. 441
- Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2013 ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), p. 838
- District municipality's official website (in Turkish)
|This article about a Mediterranean Region of Turkey location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|