|Single by The Beach Boys|
|from the album Carl and the Passions – "So Tough"|
|A-side||"You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone"|
|Released||May 15, 1972|
|Recorded||April 9, 1972|
Brian Wilson's home studio, California
|Length||5:30 (album) |
|Songwriter(s)||Dennis Wilson and Daryl Dragon|
|Producer(s)||The Beach Boys|
|The Beach Boys singles chronology|
"Cuddle Up" is a song written by Dennis Wilson and Daryl Dragon for the American rock band The Beach Boys. It was concurrently released in two formats on May 15, 1972. One version was released on the album Carl and the Passions – "So Tough", and another as the b-side to "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone".
Following the release of the Beach Boys album Surf's Up in August 1971, Dennis Wilson collaborated with Daryl Dragon, intending to record a solo album. Cuddle Up was initially recorded for this project in late 1971 under the working title Old Movie.
The lead vocal on Cuddle Up is performed by Dennis and production is credited to the Beach Boys.
A slightly different mix of Cuddle Up was pressed on the b-side to "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone". It features alternate mixing, additional string overdubs and backing vocals.
- The Beach Boys
- Blondie Chaplin – vocals
- Ricky Fataar – vocals; drums; slide guitar
- Al Jardine – vocals
- Mike Love – vocals
- Brian Wilson – vocals
- Carl Wilson – vocals; guitar; bass; keyboards; acoustic guitar
- Dennis Wilson – vocals; piano, production
- Daryl Dragon – Hammond organ, tack piano, sleigh bell, slide guitar, fiddle, zither; piano on, horn and string arrangements, piano, conductor
- Stephens La Fever – bass
- Frank Capp – tympani
- Bonnie Douglas – violin
- Assa Drori – violin
- Irving Geller – violin
- Alfred Lustgarten – violin
- Leonard Malarsky – violin
- Jay Rosen – violin
- Nathan Ross – violin
- Sheldon Sanov – violin
- Leonard Salic – violin
- Spiro Stamos – violin
- Dorothy Wade – violin
- Shari Zippert – violin
- Norm Botnick – viola
- David Burk – viola
- Joseph Reilich – viola
- David Schwartz – viola
- JoAnn Johansson – cello
- Jan Kelley – cello
- Nathan Gershman – cello
- Victor Sazer – cello
- James D. Hugart – double bass
- Richard F. Kelley, Sr. – double bass
- Meyer Rubin – double bass
Matthew Greenwald of Allmusic has stated ""Cuddle Up" is a somewhat top-heavy, classically influenced ballad. However, the lyrics and Dennis Wilson's excellent vocals render this an emotional masterpiece, closing the album out with style." and went on to note that it is essential listening for those exploring Dennis Wilson's talents.
- Billboard Magazine May 20, 1972 page 58 Vol. 84 No. 21
- Bush, John. "Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain & Tennile : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Doe, Andrew G. (2012). "GIGS71". Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Badman, Keith. The Beach Boys. The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band: On Stage and in the Studio Backbeat Books, San Francisco, California, 2004. ISBN 0-87930-818-4
- Greenwald, Matthew. "Cuddle Up - The Beach Boys : Listen, Appearances, Song Review : Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Heibutzki, Ralph. "Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain & Tennile : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-12-11.