Cumberland Mall (New Jersey)
|Location||Vineland, New Jersey, USA|
|Opening date||October 21, 1973|
|Owner||Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust|
|No. of anchor tenants||3|
|Total retail floor area||941,148 square feet (87,435.5 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
|Public transit access||NJ Transit bus: 313, 553|
Cumberland Mall is strategically positioned 25 miles (40 km) away from its nearest competitor, 45 miles (72 km) south of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and on route to the Southern New Jersey Shore Points. Its anchor stores are Boscov's, Burlington Coat Factory, and Dick's Sporting Goods occupying the former JCPenney. Other tenants in the mall include Marshalls, Michael's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ulta, Old Navy, and Toys "R" Us - closing 2018.
The mall was built in 1973 by Rubin Organization. Its original anchor stores were Bradlees, Gaudio's, Pathmark, and Wilmington Dry Goods. Gaudio's became JCPenney, Pathmark became Toys "R" Us, and Wilmington Dry Goods became Value City and is now Burlington Coat Factory. Despite the addition of these anchor stores, the mall's occupancy declined in the 1990s. A mall-wide renovation at the end of the decade added Boscov's and expanded JCPenney while reconfiguring the main mall concourse. The former Bradlees was subdivided, and The Home Depot and Regal Cinemas were added on outparcels.
After Value City went out of business in 2009, its space became Burlington Coat Factory. Ulta was added in 2013. In January 2015, it was announced the JCPenney store was closing as part of a plan to close 39 underperforming stores nationwide.
- Smith, Joseph P. (6 September 2013). "Mall has grown in 40 years, but feels like family". APP.com. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Rouse, Ewart (August 24, 1998). "Mall Overcomes Years Of Decline To Expand Anew The Cumberland Mall In Vineland Nearly Doubled Its Space. It's Suddenly On The Rise Again In The Region". Philly.com. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Cumberland Mall Fact Sheet" (PDF). PREIT. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-12-30. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- Kasrel, Deni (27 January 1997). "Cumberland Mall back in race with Boscov's help". Philadelphia Business Journal. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Six, Jim (12 January 2009). "Burlington Coat Factory opens new store in Vineland". NJ.com. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Strauss, Gary (January 8, 2015). "J.C. Penney, Macy's to shut stores, lay off scores". USA Today. Gannett. Retrieved January 9, 2015.