Cumberland Regional High School
|Cumberland Regional High School|
|90 Silver Lake Road
Seabrook, NJ 08302
|Superintendent||Mary Lou DeFrancisco (interim)|
|Business administrator||Bruce D. Harbinson|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||1,354 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||B|
|Cumberland Regional High School|
|90 Silver Lake Road
Seabrook, NJ 08302
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Colts with Class"|
|Established||1977–78 school year|
|Asst. principals||Terence Johnson
|Athletics conference||Tri-County Conference|
Cumberland Regional High School is a comprehensive regional public high school and school district, serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from seven communities in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. The district serves students from Deerfield Township, Fairfield Township, Greenwich Township, Hopewell Township, Shiloh Borough, Stow Creek Township and Upper Deerfield Township and encompasses 162 square miles (420 km2).
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,354 students and 87.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.4:1. There were 455 students (33.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 132 (9.7% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district participates in the Interdistrict Public School Choice Program, which allows non-resident students to attend the district's school without cost to their parents, with tuition covered by the State of New Jersey. Available slots are announced annually by grade.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "B", the second lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 274th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 312th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 291st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 279th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 282nd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The district was formed to help with overcrowding issues at Bridgeton High School, which, at the time, all seven districts sent their ninth through twelfth grade students. After the initial school board was selected in December 1974 and ground was broken on the school's Upper Deerfield site in May 1976. The school opened in September 1977 and the first twelfth grade class of 322 students graduated in June 1978.
Ground was broken on May 12, 1976, and the school opened on September 7, 1977, with 1,759 students in grades 9 – 12. There were 322 students in the school's first graduating class of 1978. The school is located in the Seabrook Farms section of Upper Deerfield Township.
Cumberland Regional High School offers students an extensive range of programs and activities, including the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Future Farmers of America (FFA), the Student Council, Drama Guild, Marching Band, Southern Oracle Winter Percussion, Concert Band, Jazz Band, Choir, Mock trial, National Junior Classical League, Spanish Club, Leo Club, Interact Club, Key Club, CAST Club, Book Club, Anime Club, Chess Club, Helping Hands Club, Rare Pearls Club, Young Men Can Make a Difference, Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) and Yearbook Club.
Cumberland Regional High School Colts compete as one of 19 member schools in the Tri-County Conference, which is composed of schools whose enrollments vary greatly for grades 9–12, and operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 996 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 794 to 1,076 students in that grade range.
The field hockey team won the 2000 New Jersey Group III championship, and the softball team won the 2001 New Jersey Group III championship.
The boys tennis team won the 2001 South Jersey Group I championship, defeating Mainland Regional High School in the final by 4–1. The team won the 2005 tournament in Group III, edging Moorestown High School, 3-2 in the tournament final.
The boys soccer team won the 2002 South Jersey Group III sectional championship.
- Mary Lou DeFrancisco – Interim Superintendent
- Bruce D. Harbinson - School Business Administrator
- Ralph Aiello – Principal
- Terence Johnson – Assistant Principal
- Joseph Spoltore – Assistant Principal
- Robert J. Vannella – Assistant Principal
- Randy Byers (born 1964, class of 1982), outfielder who played for the San Diego Padres in 1987 and 1988.
- Ryan Overdevest (Class of 2003), a 2002 NSCAA Boys High School Scholar All-America Team selection his senior year of high school, and First Team Academic All-American as a senior while playing for William & Mary's soccer team.
- School data for Cumberland Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Cumberland Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 2, 2015.
- Cumberland Regional School District 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 5, 2016. "The Cumberland Regional School District, located in Western Cumberland County, provides students with a comprehensive learning environment in a nurturing and personalized setting. The district serves students in grades 9-12 who reside in the municipalities of Deerfield, Fairfield, Greenwich & Stow Creek, Hopewell & Shiloh, and Upper Deerfield."
- Shott, Meghan. "Cumberland Regional High School", South Jersey magazine. Accessed June 5, 2016. "Cumberland Regional High School, located in the northwest part of Cumberland County, serves students from Deerfield Township, Fairfield Township, Greenwich Township, Hopewell Township, Shiloh Borough, Stow Creek Township and Upper Deerfield Township."
- Constituent Districts, Cumberland Regional High School. Accessed June 5, 2016.
- LIST OF OPERATING CHOICE DISTRICTS: 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR, New Jersey Department of Education, updated September 8, 2016. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 7, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 20, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 10, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- History, Cumberland Regional High School. Accessed September 3, 2013.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- CRHS Athletics Wall of Fame Celebrates 2015 Inductees
- 2001 NJSIAA Boys Team Tennis – South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 26, 2007.
- 2005 Boys Team Tennis – South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 26, 2007.
- 2002 Boys Soccer – Public Semifinals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 26, 2007.
- District Administration, Cumberland Regional High School. Accessed November 2, 2015.
- New Jersey School Directory for Cumberland County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 17, 2014.
- Randy Byers, Baseball Almanac. Accessed November 2, 2015.
- NSCAA All-Academic Team Release. Accessed August 3, 2007.
- Tribe Athletics – Overdevest Named CAA Scholar-Athlete Award Winner. "William and Mary senior Ryan Overdevest added to his list of academic honors after being named the Colonial Athletic Association Men's Soccer Scholar-Athlete Award winner, the league office announced on Jan. 2....A senior business major, Overdevest was selected to the ESPN the Magazine Academic All-America first team in 2007 after earning second team honors as a junior." Accessed January 24, 2008.
- Cumberland Regional High School
- Cumberland Regional High School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Cumberland Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Cumberland Regional HS