|Nickname(s): Place where Kumkuma is produced|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Total||16 623|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Cuncolim is located at . It has an average elevation of 13 m (43 ft).
Historically, there were twelve Vangodds (clans) of Kshatriya Maratha Ganvkars (landlords) in the village. Their names, in order of precedence, are as follows: Mhal, Shetcar, Naik, Mangro, Shet, Tombddo, Porob, Sidakalo, Lokakalo, Bandekar, Rounom and Becklo.
Cuncolim was the site of recurring Hindu dissent against Portuguese rule, and this village is also known for an early violent protest against the Portuguese, in 1583. Those killed on the Christian side include the so-called 'martyrs of Cuncolim'.
The village of Cuncolim was the original site of the famous temple of Shree Shantadurga before this was demolished by the Portuguese in collaboration with the Christian missionaries. The Holy idol of Shree Shantadurga was taken to Fatorpa where the new temple of Shree Shantadurga Cuncolikarin stands today. The annual zatra of the temple happens in December /January where the Utsav which lasts for five days.
The chariots depicting scenes of different Hindu mythological events are paraded on each night. On the fifth day the Maha chariot of the Goddess is taken in a procession around the temple which is attended by devotees from all cast and creed from across Goa as well as the neighbouring states. This yatra is also attended by many local Christian families who continue to hold sacred their familial allegiance to the Goddess.
During the last days of the Holi festival, the idol of the Goddess is taken back to the original site at Cuncolim thus re-enacting the migration of the Goddess and many Hindu families who fled Salcette to preserve their faith. This marks the famous festival known as the Sontreo (Umbrellas) consisting 12 umbrellas representing 12 vangodds (clans) of Cuncolim.
Amongst those Hindu communities that fled Cuncolim in the midst of religious persecution are the Marathas, Kunbis, Gawdas, Daivadnyas and Saraswats. The Saraswats from Cuncolim and Quelossim formed a separate community called the Chitrapur Saraswats and they have their math headquarters in Chitrapur, Karnataka.
It has 5 high schools namely Our Lady of Health, Cuncolim United, Infant Jesus, Maria Bambina Convent and Hutatma Kenkre High School. Higher secondary needs are catered to by Maria Bambina and United Higher secondary, former has Arts and Commerce stream whereas latter has both the streams in addition to Science. Cuncolim United College is the only college in Cuncolim which mostly has students from areas surrounding Cuncolim and also there is Graduation College namely Cuncolim Education Society of Arts and Commerce which provides Degree Course of B. A and B. COM for students of Cuncolim and surrounding areas . Prabal's Institute of Commerce and Computer Education has been imparting typing and computer skills for the last 25 years.
Cuncolim has a unique traditional village irrigation, involving 12 bunds (water-gathering centres). It has also 12 residential clans (or vangodds). Cuncolim Union is one of the social organisations formed by people of this area.
Places of interest
Besides the church and chapels, Cuncolim is also home some temples, the Molanguinim Cave, small waterfalls at the foot of the seven temples, and the Nayaband Lake.
- C. Chandramouli (2015) [2010–11], "Cuncolim Population Census 2011", Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India, Government of India, Census Organization of India, retrieved 2017-07-06
- Information about Cuncolim !!, Cuncolim Municipal Council, retrieved 2017-07-06
- "Cuncolim, India Page", Falling Rain Genomics, Inc, retrieved 2017-07-06
- Rowena Robinson (15–21 February 1997), "Cuncolim: Weaving a Tale of Resistance", Economic and Political Weekly, Economic and Political Weekly, 32 (7): 334–340, JSTOR 4405091
- Shiv Kumar, "Caste rivalry threatens to disrupt harmony in Goa", The Indian Express, Panaji, archived from the original on 2012-10-10, retrieved 2017-07-06
- "Sappu and Nayaband lake issues to be challenged in NGT - India Environment Portal | News, reports, documents, blogs, data, analysis on environment & development | India, South Asia". www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- Cuncolim on GoaHolidayHomes.com