|• Governor||Vigílio da Ressurreição Bernardo Adriano Tyova|
|• Vice-Governor for the Political, Economic and Social Sector||Albertina Teresa José|
|• Vice-Governor for Technical Services and Infrastructures||Feliciano Salomão Himulova|
|• Total||87,342 km2 (33,723 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
|ISO 3166 code||AO-CNN|
low · 14th
Ondjiva is the capital of the province; it was previously known as Vila Pereira d’Eça. Ondjiva is the only city in this province. The distance from Ondjiva to Luanda is 1424 km and to Lubango is 415 km. The Cunene River gave its name to the province.
The inhabitants of the Province are overwhelmingly Ovambo pastoralists. Since the 1960s, they have been under pressure first from white settlers, and after independence from high-ranking military officers and politicians, who acquired large extensions of land which the Ovambo need for the transhumance of their cattle. The ecological, economic and social advantage of pastoralism over ranching has been known since the 1970s, but has not been sufficiently taken into account in policy making.
The province of Cunene contains six (6) municipalities (municípios):
The province of Cunene contains the following communes (comunas); sorted by their respective municipalities:
- Cahama Municipality: – Cahama, Oxinjau (Otchinjau)
- Kuroka Municipality: – Chitado, Oncócua
- Kuvelai Municipality: – Calonga, Cuvati (Cubati), Mucolongodijo (Mukolongodjo), Mupa (Omunda)
- Kwanhama Municipality: – Evale, Môngua, Nehone-Cafima, Ondjiva, Simporo (Tchimporo-Yonde)
- Namakunde Municipality: – Melunga-Chiede, Namakunde (Namacunde)
- Ombadja Municipality: – Humbe, Mucope, Naulila, Ombala yo Mungu, Xangongo
List of governors of Cunene
|Name||Years in office|
|Kundi Paihama *||(4) 1976–1979|
|Capt Ary da Costa *||(4) 1979–1982|
|Pedro Mutindi *||(26) 1983–2008|
|António Didalelwa||(9) 2008–2016|
|Kundi Paihama||(3) 2016–2018|
|Vigílio da Ressurreição Bernardo Adriano Tyova||(2) 2018–|
- Up to 1991, the official name was Provincial Commissioner
In popular culture
- Kunene Region in Namibia
- "Cunene" at pt.wiki, 16/09/2011
- "Resultados Definitivos Recenseamento Geral da População e Habitação - 2014" (PDF). Instituto Nacional de Estatística, República de Angola. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2020-02-27.
- See Eduardo Cruz de Carvalho, "'Traditional' and 'Modern' Patterns of Cattle Raising in Southwestern Angola: A critical evaluation of change from Pastoralism to Ranching", The Journal of Developing Areas, 8 1974, pp. 199-226 http://www.the-eis.com/data/literature/Pastoralism%20in%20southern%20Angola.pdf
- "Virgílio Tyova é o 6º governador na história do Cunene" (in Portuguese). ANGOP Angolan State News Agency. 12 Sep 2018. Retrieved 5 Mar 2019.
- Official website of province governor
- Information on this province at the Angolan ministry for territorial administration
- Information on this province at Info Angola
- Province geographical info at geoview.info