Cunning Single Lady
|Cunning Single Lady|
Promotional poster for Cunning Single Lady
|Also known as||
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||Go Dong-sun
|Running time||55 minutes|
|Distributor||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original network||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original release||February 27– April 24, 2014|
Cunning Single Lady (Hangul: 앙큼한 돌싱녀; RR: Angkeumhan Dolsingnyeo; lit. "Sly/Cunning/Devious Woman Who's Single Again") is a 2014 South Korean romantic comedy television series starring Lee Min-jung and Joo Sang-wook as a divorced couple who rekindles their romance. It aired on MBC from February 27 to April 24, 2014 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 16 episodes.
Na Ae-ra grew up believing she was born to be only pretty and not smart. While working at her family's restaurant, she falls in love with Cha Jung-woo, a geeky engineering graduate student studying to enter civil service. Na Ae-ra wants to become a housewife, and after Jung-woo promises that she will be, they get married. During their 100th day wedding celebration, Jung-woo announces that he has quit his job because he has an idea for a business. Jung-woo's businesses keep failing and Ae-ra struggles to keep them afloat by working multiple jobs. After secretly suffering a miscarriage from the stress of being the sole breadwinner and living in poverty, Ae-ra divorces Jung-woo after four years of marriage. Three years after the divorce, Ae-ra discovers that Jung-woo has become fabulously successful and wealthy, while she is still paying debts that accrued during their marriage. The fun begins when Ae-ra schemes for revenge, with Jung-woo believing that Ae-ra wants him back because he has become wealthy.
- Beautiful but flighty, Ae-ra initially cares more about honing her looks over her life skills. Upon marriage to Jung-woo, she dreams of becoming a housewife but finds herself shouldering the sole burden of their financial needs for four years, until frustration and exhaustion drives her to divorce him. But after learning of his success, she schemes to ostensibly win back her ex-husband by becoming an intern at his company, though what she really wants from him is a belated apology and thank you.
- Despite being an engineering genius, he was initially studying to become a civil servant when he meets and marries Ae-ra. To her shock, Jung-woo suddenly announces that he's quitting to become a software developer instead. Years of his business failure lead to their divorce. Jung-woo eventually creates DonTalk, a WhatsApp-like text-over-data app that becomes Korea's No.1 social networking application. Thus Jung-woo transforms from a geeky loser into the self-made, successful president of D&T Software Ventures, a venture capital firm.
- Kim Gyu-ri as Gook Yeo-jin
- Smart, elegant, and capable, Yeo-jin possesses a keen insight and determination that can be intimidating, particularly given that she was born with the disposition of a boss. She is an heiress, being the daughter of the chairman of D&T Software Ventures, where she works as a director. She nurses painful scars from a past love, but falls for her business partner Jung-woo because of his warm personality, becoming Ae-ra's rival for his heart.
- Seo Kang-joon as Gook Seung-hyun
- Yeo-jin's younger brother, who was once tutored by Jung-woo when he was in high school. Good-looking, rich, and caring, Seung-hyun is seemingly a perfect guy. Upon his return to Korea from overseas, he gets hired at DonTalk despite his resistance to working a desk job at his father's company; but to avoid preferential treatment, he hides his real identity. Among his fellow interns is Ae-ra, and he becomes attracted to her, notwithstanding their eight-year age difference.
- Yo-han was the part-time clerk at the PC bang where Jung-woo practically lived when he was broke, and when he hits it big, he takes the kid along and hires him as his personal secretary. The two have a devoted friendship, particularly since Yo-han was by Jung-woo's side while he was suffering through his divorce.
- Hwang Bo-ra as Kang Min-young
- Ae-ra's best friend.
- Lee Byung-joon as Oh Byung-joon
- Managing director, and Chairman Gook's right-hand man.
- Choi Cheol-ho as Kim Jung-won
- Manager of mobile shopping team.
- Im Ji-eun as Wang Ji-hyun
- Team leader of mobile shopping team.
- Yooyoung as Pi Song-hee
- Fresh out of university, Song-hee is a new employee at D&T Software Ventures. She pretends to be quiet most of the time but is actually a seductress.
- Kim Jae-hwa as Oh Bang-soon
- Ae-ra's frenemy.
- Lee Jung-gil as Gook Yong-geol
- Yeo-jin and Seung-hyun's father. The chairman of D&T Software Ventures.
- Kim Yong-hee as Na Soo-cheol
- Ae-ra's troublemaker older brother. He escapes to Seoul after a failed business in Vietnam. Soo-cheol only manages to survive with the help of his sister, and he accepts the alimony money from Jung-woo that Ae-ra had already rejected.
- Kim Eung-soo as Na Gab-soo
- Ae-ra's father.
- Kwon Ki-sun as Jang Sook-ja
- Ae-ra's mother.
- Kim Ye-ryeong as Lee Eun-hwa
- Yeo-jin and Seung-hyun's mother.
- Kim Ho-young as Jung-woo's father
- Byun Eun-young as Jung-woo's mother
- --- as Cha Jung-sook
- Jung-woo's older sister.
- --- as Cha Jung-ran
- Jung-woo's younger sister.
- Choi Joo-hee as Yeo-jin's secretary
- In Gyo-jin as man no. 1
- Lee Jung-eun as salon director
- Wang Bit-na as Yeo-jin's college roommate who went on a blind date with Jung-woo (ep 2)
- Oh Na-mi as S-line lady
- Kim Sung-kyun as head of IT security (ep 3)
- Ricky Kim as Yeo-jin's first love who died in a car accident soon after they got married (ep 5)
- Choi Eun-kyung as matchmaking MC
- Yeom Dong-heon as middle-aged man
- Yang Hee-kyung as restaurant ajumma
- Lee Jong-soo as Robert Kim
- Alice (Hello Venus) as booking lady (ep 10)
- Nara (Hello Venus) as booking lady (ep 10)
- Kim Da-hyun as Kim Chang-soo, CEO of Shilla Hotel (ep 12-13)
- Lee Han-wi as doctor
- Choi Kyu-hwan as Kim Chang-gyu
- Jung Dong-kyu
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings. The final two episodes were not aired as originally scheduled due to media coverage on the sinking of the MV Sewol.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||February 27, 2014||4.1%||4.9%||5.4%||6.4%|
|2||February 28, 2014||5.7%||7.0%||6.4%||7.4%|
|3||March 5, 2014||8.1%||10.8%||10.3%||11.9%|
|4||March 6, 2014||7.8%||10.1%||8.9%||9.6%|
|5||March 12, 2014||8.0%||9.9%||9.2%||10.4%|
|6||March 13, 2014||7.9%||10.0%||8.5%||9.4%|
|7||March 19, 2014||8.1%||9.9%||8.3%||8.9%|
|8||March 20, 2014||7.8%||9.5%||8.7%||9.7%|
|9||March 26, 2014||8.5%||10.1%||8.7%||9.9%|
|10||March 27, 2014||7.9%||9.9%||8.5%||9.1%|
|11||April 2, 2014||7.7%||9.6%||7.9%||8.9%|
|12||April 3, 2014||8.7%||11.2%||8.8%||10.3%|
|13||April 9, 2014||9.2%||11.7%||8.2%||9.0%|
|14||April 10, 2014||9.1%||11.2%||9.1%||10.5%|
|15||April 23, 2014||7.8%||10.3%||9.3%||10.8%|
|16||April 24, 2014||7.5%||9.6%||9.2%||10.7%|
Awards and nominations
||Best New Actor||Seo Kang-joon||Won|
||Best Young Actor||Seo Kang-joon||Nominated|
||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Lee Min-jung||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Joo Sang-wook||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Seo Kang-joon||Nominated|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Joo Sang-wook||Nominated|
|Cunning Single Lady:
Original Sound Track
|Soundtrack album by Various Artists|
|Released||April 16, 2014|
|Genre||Pop, K-pop, soundtrack, R&B|
|Producer||The Groove Entertainment
|1.||"그냥 사랑인 거죠" (It's Just Love)||Hello Venus|
|2.||"정말 사랑합니다" (I Really Love You)||Yoo Sung-eun and GilguBongu|
|3.||"모르겠죠" (Don't Know)||Oh Yoo-joon|
|4.||"Beautiful Girl"||1sagain and JUST|
|5.||"For the First Time"||Big Baby Driver|
|6.||"Alone Again"||Big Baby Driver|
|7.||"앙큼한 상상" (Cunning Thoughts)||Sunny Hill|
|8.||"케미" (Mirror Mirror)||Dohee and J.Min of Tiny-G|
|9.||"어떡하나요" (What Do I Do?)||Yoo Seung-woo|
|10.||"앙큼한 돌싱녀" (Cunning Single Lady)||Various Artists|
|11.||"Queen of Romance"||Various Artists|
|12.||"짧은 이별" (Short Farewell)||Various Artists|
|14.||"The Men's Qualification"||Various Artists|
|15.||"Tears of Princess"||Various Artists|
|16.||"여왕의 귀환" (Return of the Queen)||Various Artists|
|17.||"Lonely Lady"||Various Artists|
|18.||"Craziness Party"||Various Artists|
- It aired in Japan on cable channel KNTV beginning August 10, 2014.
- PPTV HD in Thailand beginning February 22, 2015
- Lee, Cory (January 7, 2014). "Joo Sang-wook, Rhee Min-jung to Pair Up in New TV Romcom". TenAsia. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Cunning Single Lady New Drama's New Posters". MBC Global Media. February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Kwon, Soo-bin (February 11, 2014). "Lee Min Jung and Joo Sang Wook Get Married for Cunning Single Lady". enewsWorld. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Lee, Sun-min (December 31, 2013). "Lee Min-jung is very cunning". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Ko, Hong-ju (May 17, 2014). "Interview: Good Actor Joo Sang Wook Talks Getting Rid of His "Director" Image". enewsWorld. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- Jeong, Jee-won (January 20, 2014). "Infinite's L Cast in Cunning Single Lady with Lee Min Jung and Joo Sang Wook". enewsWorld. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Jeon, Su-mi (February 11, 2014). "Infinite's L Transforms into Cute Secretary for Cunning Single Lady". enewsWorld. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (April 24, 2014). "Infinite's L is Sad to Say Goodbye to Cunning Single Lady". enewsWorld. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- "TNmS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNmS Ratings (in Korean). Archived from the original on November 28, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Archived from the original on December 26, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2014.