|Cunningham-Hall PT-6F freighter preserved in a collection in 2006|
|Role||Six-seat cabin biplane|
|Manufacturer||Cunningham-Hall Aircraft Corporation|
Development and design
The Cunningham-Hall Aircraft Corporation was formed in 1928 and the first design was the PT-6, which first flew on April 3, 1929. The PT-6 was a biplane of all-metal construction with a fixed landing gear with tail skid. The cockpit held a pilot and either a copilot or passenger, with a separate cabin for four passengers. The aircraft was powered by a 300 hp (224 kW) Wright J-6 Whirlwind radial engine. Six PT-6 aircraft were built. One of these, serial number 2962, was reported to be in the museum collection of the Museum of Alaska Transportation (then in Palmer, now in Wasilla) in 1977, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The company's last design was a freighter conversion the PT-6F. First flown in 1937, the original passenger cabin was modified as a cargo compartment with 156 ft³ (4.42m³) of stowage space. A freight door was fitted to the fuselage and a loading hatch fitted in the roof. It was powered by a Wright R-975E-1 radial engine. An airworthy PT-6F is currently (2008) in a private collection at Anoka County-Blaine Airport, near Minneapolis.
- Six-seat cabin biplane powered by a 300hp (224kW) Wright J-6 Whirlwind radial engine, two built.
- Freighter conversion of the PT-6.
Data from The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985)
- Crew: Two
- Length: 30 ft 0 in (9.14 m)
- Wingspan: 41 ft 8 in (12.7 m)
- Height: 9 ft 7 in (2.92 m)
- Wing area: 370 ft² (34.37 m²)
- Empty weight: 2,875 lb (1304 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 4,550 lb (2064 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Wright R-975E-1 Whirlwind radial engine, 365hp (272 kW)
- Maximum speed: 150 mph (241 km/h)
- Range: 700 miles (1127 km)
- Service ceiling: 20,000 ft (6095 m)
- Wing loading: lb/ft² (kg/m²)
- Power/mass: hp/lb (W/kg)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska
- Cunningham-Hall PT-6 NC692W
- "NRHP nomination for Cunningham-Hall Pt-6,Nc-692W" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing.