Cunninghame North (UK Parliament constituency)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
|Subdivisions of Scotland||Cunninghame district|
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||North Ayrshire and Arran|
|Created from||Bute and Northern Ayrshire
Cunninghame North was a county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1983 until 2005, when it was largely replaced by North Ayrshire and Arran. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) using the first-past-the-post voting system.
The Scottish Parliament constituency also called Cunninghame North continues in existence.
The Cunninghame District electoral divisions of Arran, Largs and West Kilbride; Garnock Valley; and Saltcoats and Ardrossan.
Members of Parliament
|2005||constituency abolished. See North Ayrshire & Arran|
Elections of the 1980s
|Labour||John Nisbet Carson||13,920||34.6||N/A|
|Social Democratic||D.M. Crossan||7,268||18.1||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
|Labour||Brian David Henderson Wilson||19,061||44.4||+9.8|
|Social Democratic||Douglas J. Herbison||5,185||12.1||−6.0|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
Elections of the 1990s
|Labour||Brian David Henderson Wilson||17,564||41.0||−3.4|
|Conservative||Mrs. Edith Louisa Clarkson||14,625||34.1||+0.1|
|SNP||David M. Crossan||7,813||18.2||+8.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Douglas J. Herbison||2,864||6.7||−5.4|
|Labour||Brian David Henderson Wilson||20,686||50.3||+9.3|
|Conservative||Mrs. Janet Margaret Mitchell||9,647||23.5||−10.6|
|SNP||Mrs. Kim Nicoll||7,584||18.4||+0.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Miss Karen Freel||2,271||5.5||−1.2|
|Socialist Labour||Mrs. Louise Anne Margaret McDaid||501||1.2||N/A|
|Referendum||Ian David Winton||440||1.1||N/A|
Elections of the 2000s
|Labour||Brian David Henderson Wilson||15,571||46.0||−4.2|
|Conservative||Richard Matthew Wilkinson||6,666||19.7||−3.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Ross Michael Chmiel||3,060||9.0||+3.5|
|Scottish Socialist||Sean Scott||964||2.9||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Mrs. Louise Anne Margaret McDaid||382||1.1||−0.1|
- "'Cunninghame North', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.