Cunninghame South (Scottish Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2020)
for the Scottish Parliament
|Party||Scottish National Party|
|Council area||North Ayrshire|
Cunninghame South is a constituency of the Scottish Parliament (Holyrood). It elects one Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) by the first past the post method of election. Also, however, it is one of ten constituencies in the West Scotland electoral region, which elects seven additional members, in addition to ten constituency MSPs, to produce a form of proportional representation for the region as a whole.
The other nine constituencies of the West Scotland region are Clydebank and Milngavie, Cunninghame North, Dumbarton, Eastwood, Greenock and Inverclyde, Paisley, Renfrewshire North and West, Renfrewshire South and Strathkelvin and Bearsden.
The region covers part of the Argyll and Bute council area, the East Dunbartonshire council area, the East Renfrewshire council area, the Inverclyde council area, North Ayrshire council area, the Renfrewshire council area and the West Dunbartonshire council area.
Constituency boundaries and council area
The Cunninghame South constituency was created at the same time as the Scottish Parliament, in 1999, with the name and boundaries of an existing Westminster constituency. In 2005, however, Scottish Westminster (House of Commons) constituencies were mostly replaced with new constituencies.
The rest of the North Ayrshire area is covered by the Cunninghame North constituency.
From the 2011 Scottish Parliament election, the electoral wards used to form this constituency are:
Constituency profile and voting patterns
The Cunninghame South constituency occupies the southern portion of the North Ayrshire Council area, covering the towns of Kilwinning, Stevenston and Irvine.
The area has traditionally been represented by the Labour party, with Labour continuously representing the Central Ayrshire and Cunninghame South constituencies at the British Parliament from 1959 until 2015 - when the constituency of Central Ayrshire was won by the Scottish National Party on a 27.7% swing from Labour to SNP. In the Scottish Parliament Cunninghame South was represented by the Labour Party from the establishment of the Scottish Parliament in 1999 until 2011, when the seat was gained by the SNP on a 9.9% swing.
Member of the Scottish Parliament
|Liberal Democrats||Tom Armstrong||715||2.4||0.0||579||1.9||0.3|
|All for Unity||367||1.2||New|
|Independent Green Voice||150||0.5||New|
|Abolish the Scottish Parliament||98||0.3||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Ruby Kirkwood||616||2.4||0.1||417||1.6||0.1|
|All-Scotland Pensioners Party||453||2.0||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Ruby Kirkwood||547||2.5||N/A||374||1.7||N/A|
|Ban Bankers Bonuses||85||0.4||N/A|
|SNP win (new boundaries)|
|Liberal Democrats||Iain Dale||1,977||8.4||+1.8|
|Scottish Socialist||Rosemary Byrne||2,677||11.8||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Iain Dale||1,505||6.6||+0.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Stuart Ritchie||1,717||6.1||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Scottish Parliamentary Constituency (SPC) Population Estimates (2011 Data Zone based), National Records of Scotland; retrieved 6 May 2021 (accompanying summary notes)
- See The 5th Periodical Report of the Boundary Commission for Scotland Archived September 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Scottish Parliamentary Elections - Cunninghame South - West Scotland Region" (pdf). North Ayrshire Council. 6 May 2021. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- "Scottish Parliamentary Election - Cunninghame South" (pdf). North Ayrshire Council. 6 May 2021. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- "Scottish Parliamentary Election - Cunninghame South/West Scotland Region". North Ayrshire Council. 5 May 2016. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "2016 Scottish Parliamentary Elections Results". North Ayrshire Council. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "Declaration of regional result Cunninghame South constituency" (PDF). North Ayrshire Council. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "2011 Scottish Parliamentary Elections Results". North Ayrshire Council. Retrieved 8 June 2021.