Cunninghame South (UK Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Cunninghame South in Scotland for the 2001 general election.
|Subdivisions of Scotland||North Ayrshire|
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||North Ayrshire & Arran|
|Created from||Ayrshire Central|
Bute and Northern Ayrshire
Cunninghame South was a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (at Westminster) from 1983 until 2005. It was represented by one Member of Parliament (MP) elected by the first-past-the-post system of election.
In 2005 a northern area of the constituency was merged with Cunninghame North to form North Ayrshire and Arran. The rest of the Cunninghame South constituency was merged with a northern area from Ayr and a small area from Carrick, Cumnock and Doon Valley to form Central Ayrshire.
The Cunninghame South constituency of the Scottish Parliament, which was created in 1999 with the same boundaries as the Westminster constituency, continues in existence unaltered.
The Cunninghame District electoral divisions of Irvine Central, Irvine South, and Kilwinning and Stevenston.
In 1996 the Cunninghame district was reconstituted as the North Ayrshire council area, but the constituency boundaries remained unchanged until the seat disappeared in 2005.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Constituency created, see Bute and Northern Ayrshire and Central Ayrshire|
|1983||David Lambie||Labour||Previous MP for Central Ayrshire|
|1992||Brian Donohoe||Labour||Subsequent MP for Central Ayrshire|
|2005||Constituency abolished, see Central Ayrshire and North Ayrshire and Arran|
Elections in the 1980s
|Liberal||John Alan Boss||6,370||17.8||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Brian Ashley||2,299||6.2||−5.7|
|Natural Law||William Jackson||128||0.4||N/A|
|Conservative||Pamela M. Paterson||3,571||10.1||−6.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Erlend Watson||1,604||4.5||−1.7|
|Socialist Labour||Krishna Edwin||494||1.4||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||John Boyd||2,094||7.4||+2.9|
|Scottish Socialist||Rosemary Byrne||1,233||4.4||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Bobby Cochrane||382||1.4||+0.0|
- "'Cunninghame South', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.