|Natural range of Hesperocyparis goveniana (sensu stricto)|
The tree is found in small, scattered populations, and not in large forests of its species. Hesperocyparis goveniana occurs with Hesperocyparis macrocarpa (Monterey cypress), in the two groves where the Monterey cypress occurs naturally, in Monterey County.
Hesperocyparis goveniana is an evergreen tree with a conic to ovoid-conic crown, very variable in size, with mature trees of under 1 m (3 ft 3 in) on some sites, to 50 m (160 ft) tall in ideal conditions.
The seed cones are globose to oblong, 11–22 mm (0.43–0.87 in) long, with 6 to 10 scales, green at first, maturing brown or gray-brown about 20–24 months after pollination. The cones remain closed for many years, only opening after the parent tree is killed in a wildfire, thereby allowing the seeds to colonize the bare ground exposed by the fire. The male cones are 3–5 mm (0.12–0.20 in) long, and release pollen in February/March.
Typically cones of H. goveniana are smaller than those of H. macrocarpa.
- Cupressus goveniana var. goveniana — reclassified as Hesperocyparis goveniana.
- Monterey County, strictly coastal, within 3 km (1.9 mi) of the coast and below 200 m (660 ft) altitude. Foliage dark green, not rough, with leaf tips not spreading; cones globose.
- Cupressus goveniana var. pigmaea, reclassified as Hesperocyparis pygmaea — Mendocino cypress (vulnerable species).
- Mendocino and Sonoma counties, coastal, within 10 km (6.2 mi) of the coast and below 500 m (1,600 ft) altitude.
- Cupressus goveniana var. abramsiana, reclassified as Hesperocyparis abramsiana — Santa Cruz cypress (endangered species).
- Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties, in the Santa Cruz Mountains 10–20 km (6.2–12.4 mi) inland and at 300–760 m (980–2,490 ft) altitude. With yellow–green foliage slightly rough-textured from the acute and slightly spreading leaf tips; cones often oval.
- Farjon, A. (2013). "Cupressus goveniana". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2013: e.T42219A2962566. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2013-1.RLTS.T42219A2962566.en. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- USDA: Hesperocyparis goveniana . accessed 8.28.2015.
- The Plant List, Cupressus goveniana Gordon
- Jepson: Hesperocyparis goveniana[permanent dead link] . accessed 8.28.2015.
- CalFlora: Hesperocyparis goveniana . accessed 8.28.2015.
- BSBI List 2007 (xls). Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- CalFlora Database: Cupressus goveniana — not an active name; please see Hesperocyparis goveniana . accessed 8.28.2015.
- Hogan, C. Michael; Frankis, Michael P. "Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) - iGoTerra". iGoTerra.com. Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- Calflora Database: Hesperocyparis pygmaea
- Gymnosperm Database: C. goveniana var. pygmaea (Hesperocyparis pygmaea)
- CalFlora Database: Hesperocyparis abramsiana
- Gymnosperm Database: C. goveniana var. abramsiana (Hesperocyparis abramsiana)
- Jepson Manual eFlora treatment of Hesperocyparis goveniana[permanent dead link]
- CalFlora Database: Hesperocyparis goveniana (Gowen cypress)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cupressus goveniana|